Driveway not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property runs next to a stream and all of the rain and surface water is meant to go into the stream. The gutters and down pipes lead to underground pipes that flow into the stream. In this photo the gravel driveway slopes right to left, towards the stream.

IMG_0113.jpeg

The building is a concrete shed that is constantly damp and soaks up water on the other side of the wall. I dug up some of the gravel and the water is pooling next to the shed instead of flowing away:

IMG_0108.jpeg

On the opposite side of the driveway (nearer the stream) there is no pooling:

IMG_0111.jpeg

That low wall seems like a bad idea. I was hoping to make holes in it below the gravel to allow the water out but it's not even flowing that way. There is solid concrete under the gravel which slopes the wrong way.

The previous owner has installed a gravel drive on top of a concrete drive and has sloped all the gravel correctly, but of course the rain just drains through the gravel and then follows the flow of the concrete, towards the shed.

I'll keep investigating but suggestions welcome. I wish I'd known that the driveway was not professionally installed when I bought the house!

Sponsored Links
I was wrong about the driveway. The 'under drive' is solid concrete and has a decent slope away from the shed and towards the stream.

IMG_1217.jpeg

Maybe its flowing to the left but the low wall on the left is stopping the drainage:

IMG_0113.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back