Concrete Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me the correct mix for a Concrete Driveway.

And how can I measure how much ballast/cement I need ???

Sponsored Links
Square meters of area multiplied by meters depth will give you cubic meters of ballast!! :p

Up to you really but I would use 5:1 (ballast : opc) Also I would stick frost proofer in at this time of year. Dont forget to do it in bays to allow for expansion or you will end up with cracks.

Sponsored Links
countygardens said:
Up to you really but I would use 5:1 (ballast : opc) Also I would stick frost proofer in at this time of year. Dont forget to do it in bays to allow for expansion or you will end up with cracks.

It is in 1.5m x 0.8m sections, (three of), and they are separted by a row of bricks - is that suffice ??

And what is Frost Proofer ???

kojakb said:
It is in 1.5m x 0.8m sections, (three of), and they are separted by a row of bricks - is that suffice ??

Yeah, they should be well small enough. Frost proofer is an additive which you stick in with the water in your mixer. They sell it everywhere (I.E. Wickes)

How deep are you going :?:

kojakb said:
That's okay,
To stop the concrete cracking up in cold weather, I don't think we're ready for that yet!

What thickness of the concrete you're having?

Just done my driveway at 100mm concrete with 4:1 ratio.

To give you some idea, a ballast jumbo bag is .600 cubic metre and a jumbo bag of cement is 40 bags, so example 4:1 mix, 10 bags of cement per jumbo bag of ballast.

It has had a layer of hardcore, a layer of MoT Type 1, and then about 100-150mm of concrete

kojakb said:
It has had a layer of hardcore, a layer of MoT Type 1, and then about 100-150mm of concrete

Sounds to me like you are well prepared :!:

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

Well, the concrete is in !!

All looks lovely, just need to wait and see now. How long would you say before driving on it ??

Thats right. If you go on it too soon the surface will scuff and you will forever wish you hadnt :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back