Concrete fence posts for shed base?

OK, back to the concrete idea!
Any tips on making sure it all ends up flat?

Sponsored Links
First of all ensure the new area to be covered is well-compacted and has a good layer of hardcore on it before pouring your new concrete there. Also use shuttering (already mentioned previously) or battens to make sure you form a clean, straight edge.

When leveling the screed pour it thicker than you think you will need to and use a flat wooden float to tamp it down. Then use a clean/straight length of timber and pull it over the screed to the level you want. This 'scrapes' off the excess leaving you with a flat screed... you can then use a trowel to smooth any bumps although you shouldn't have many.

thanks. Will probably give it a go. Can any old wood be used for the shuttering? I could use the old bearers, plus an old bit of 2x4?

If you can get the top of your shuttering perfectly level then it will be easier.

How come you have gone off the concrete posts idea? You could knock them flat onto mortar.

Sponsored Links
Somebody said they might wobble...

But I have fencers coming back next week to finish my fence, which is concrete posts and weatherboards, and asked if they fancy a look. Maybe they will agree with the posts levelled on mortar. Sounds like a plan!

Found a guy that gave a good quote, came over at 5pm and took 3 hours.

IMG_20190531_205924767.jpg

Don't forget to add gutters.

Rot loves damp.

But keep the new concrete damp for a week or so to help it harden. If the weather is gong to be dry and sunny, spray it with water and then sheet it with polythene or something until you are ready to start work again. If it dries out the hardening will stop and will not start again.

Yep, planning gutters and water butts all round! Will give it a spray too.

I am planning some sort of cover between the two so I have somewhere to store my barbecue. Got some trellis and plastic roof sheets laying about, so might see what I can do.
The small one will mostly be bike shed.

Roof added (leftover trellis + plastic roof) and gutter added (leftover from old garage, plus some brackets the builders left behind last year), and old water butt installed, with a makeshift downpipe. Apparently I need to buy a proper pipe, so will have to spend some money.

Couldn't decide whether to take the roof all the way back - would be drier if to fence, but would make accessing the back and rear top of the sheds for maintenance ... needs a better and a rethink of that middle support (only there to stop it lifting and banging on a windy day)
IMG_20190613_205155753.jpg

IMG_20190613_215341825.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back