concrete floor in kitchen damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken up the existing nasty tiles in my kitchen, and the concrete floor is damp in patches - what's the best thing to do to cure this (sorry I am v. thick on DIY matters). and what's the best type of flooring to have in this situation

appreciate any sort of expertise as I have none!
Thanks
Madders

Sponsored Links
[I am not a builder but..] If you have damp coming up though your floor -- rather than it having got under the old tiles from the top -- then it suggests your damp proofing could have been compromised. You haven't driven a tank through the kitchen recently have you.. say during a wild party?

Perhaps you could lay down some foam underlay within integral DPM see this followed by cushioned vinyl, laminate tiles such as these or laminate flooring such as this?

This is of course dealing with the symptom, but if it is only minor dampness then maybe you shouldn't have the floor dug up yet! It must be acceptable to lay a DPM (damp proof membrane) on top of the concrete or they wouldn't sell it at Screwfix right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back