Concrete floor, PVA & SLC questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve removed tiles and adhesive from this concrete kitchen floor and have uncovered some holes near the door. Please see attached photos.

Plan for the floor is to lay Sika latex SLC but I’m guessing it’s not designed to fix anything this deep. It’s loose and a bit crumbly too.

Am I okay to use Hanson Sand & Cement Mortar mix as sold in B&Q?

Would it be worth while putting any PVA in there first?

How long to leave it before putting SLC down?

I’ve got some bicarbonate of soda lying around, am I wise to use this when mopping the floor first?

Before SLC goes down, is it worth doing several layers of PVA or is one enough?

Is it best if the PVA is quite concentrated rather than watered down?

If several coats of PVA are recommended, how long to wait between coats?

Once SLC is down, can I PVA over that? Plan is to lay vinyl flooring not retile.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't use pva. Use something that will prime the concrete and not be affected by the damp. Theres a product made by BAL called Prime APD. Thats what you should be using, neat. http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/prime-apd Topps Tiles sell it. Just be carefull you don't splash it on anything as it permanently stains.

Use sbr it is cheaper and as effective and get some 'repair mortar' which will be a richer mix like 3 to 1 whereas the ready mixed bags of mortar can often be 5:1

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I must admit I hadn't heard of that SBR stuff before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back