Concrete floor - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had outside wall knocked and built a 1.2m. extension to bathroom. At the moment the floor in the new part is 3" below existing floor and builder wants to put 3" solid insulation in and leave it like that as I am putting laminate flooring over it. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
If the laminate is suitable for fixing direct onto insulation - and the insulation is the correct grade and density for that purpose, then I suppose so. Frankly I doubt either will be true.

Put a dpm down and then screed to the correct level. Forget about insulation.

Trouble is I can't tell the Builder his job. The laminate is 9mm with insulation on back suitable for heavy domestic but the insulation (Ecotherm" says 'do not stand on or support your weigh unless it is supported by a load bearing material" Is the laminate a load bearing material?

Sponsored Links
Presumably they are referring to the support under the insulation, ie a solid floor?

After a discussion he has finished off with thick ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back