Concrete garden seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cast a basic concrete seat, like a cube shape or an upside down square “u” shape. Easiest option is to use a pretty standard concrete mix, vibrate well and then paint it later. But I’m tempted to try and get a decorative finish using broken glass chippings. Anyone ever done anything like this? Doesn’t have to look amazing, just good enough so the mrs doesn’t laugh at it and make me paint it. Not planning on going as far as polishing it etc.
Was thinking snowcrete could make it a lighter colour, and possibly use grano/pea gravel rather than the 20mm ballast I normally use.
Gonna knock up a melamine form and paint a load of olive oil over it.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll need to use grano, not normal ballast or pea gravel. Or at least a higher sand/grit content than normal concrete. This will give a much smoother surface

Broken glass? DIY with the sharp edges, or commercial stuff that's worn, or DIY that gone around the mixer? Otherwise as the surface wears or even right away, the glass edges will be exposed and hazardous

Fmt- yeah could do but don’t mind sharpish edges as going to put wooden slatted seat on top
Woody - didn’t think of DIYing the glass, sounds a bit messy and hazardous. planning to get some from somewhere, garden centres possibly.
Reckon snowcrete is worth it or no visible effect? Gonna do some small trial runs I reckon

Sponsored Links
White cement will certainly lighten it up, but you may want to be sure to use a light yellow sand too, not red.

So white cement, grano and some yellow (soft?) sand potentially? Or can I leave out the sand altogether

I have seen one made where the U shape has been lined with brown parcel tape. This gave a shiny surface.
They used some rebar and sand/cement rather than ballast

You can get plastic fibres to add to the mix

Gonna do a sample run with white cement, grano, yellow sand, and some glass bits I found for a fiver on an arts and crafts website. I’ll post the result. Mrs has already said she’s not keen on the idea, which obviously encourages me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back