Concrete hearth & ceiling insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of a mixed one here.

The old concrete hearth is quite soft and crumbly. Should I attempt to fill in the parts of the hearth where they are pitted, to smooth it off, some of it will be covered by the wooden frame I will be building round the chimney, but I'm not sure of I need to do anything else to it.

View media item 65351
Secondly, I plan on using the old fireplace hole to house all my AV kit, so obviously I need to protect from damp. The chimney will be capped next week, but from an internal point of view, should I dot and dab with foil backed plasterboard? I was going to use some marine ply or OSB for sealing the flue where it enters the fireplace at the top (ill be sticking a vent in somewhere as well)

Finally, we get a lot of noise from floorboards creaking etc next door, and in turn I also want to keep the noise levels from the home cinema down. While I have the ceiling down should I fill with rockwool or similar? Should I also fill the gaps between the bricks where the joists enter with foam, or cement?
View media item 65352
Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
A number of recent threads on the questions you raise can be researched on here.

On the upper right side of the c/breast brickwork is loose, and the T&G(?) boards above are not falling on a bearing/support where they meet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back