Concrete House - Wall Vents Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a 60/70's Concrete house, 2-bed end terrace.

The GCH and HW is provided by a back-boiler in the lounge. There is an air vent in the lower corner of the lounge, I understand this is to provide air flow/draw past the boiler so fumes etc. are exhaust out the chimney.

However, in the kitchen there is also a vent in a lower corner.

In the 2 upstairs bed's there are wall vents inline with but adjacent to the top of the windows. Around 4inch x 7inch in size. These vent straight outside.

There is a definate draft to be felt near these vents and I can't help but think I am throwing heating bill money out of them.

I imagine there purpose is for damp when drying clothes and showers/baths etc.

The bathroom does not have a vent or extractor. Although I could easily install one.

Are the bedroom vents neccesary? Are they over spec'd?
Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi, if it is a concrete house with no cavity...block them up...apart from the one near the boiler....you dont have coal fires, so i see no reason to vent the other rooms, If you do have a cavity, you need to remove any liner to allow them to vent the cavity but you can block the internal holes up.

Thanks jm2000.

There is a cavity in my house. Will block the internal vents as certain losing a lot of heat out of them.

Sponsored Links
Many of the concrete houses like Wimpey no fines had condensation problems, and were vented to try and help prevent this. Try a temporary block first to see if you get any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back