Concrete Imprint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are just coming to the end of our house renovation, with the driveway and the patio to do. We like the look of imprinted concrete and my hubby would like to do this himself.

Does anyone know of a course or a good 'how to' DVD/book that could show him the basics of this.

Ta muchly!

Sponsored Links
Block paving is much better, easier to do and will look better in 5 years time, imprinted concrete fades and sometimes peels, if you spill oil on paving it can be replaced, if its a big drive and the concrete is not re-inforced it can crack.

All of course my own opinion, others may think its the bees knees (funny you dont see much of it these days!)

If you go for imprinted concrete, get a professional to do it, and see examples of their work going back a couple of years. Make sure they use expansion gaps on large areas and reinforce each slab with steel. These are signs of a reputable company and a good job.

Sponsored Links
block paving has it's good and bad points:

good points:

cheap to buy and install.

can be lifted and re-laid without 'scarring'.

many colour, pattern and configuration options.

the small units are flexible enough to be fitted to just about any terrain.

bad points:

the joints are a herbaceous haven.

the concrete versions do tend to pit when jet washed.

not particularly colourfast therefore look weathered and worn relatively quickly.

less robust patterns than herringbone i.e. basketweave, brickbond, will sink under linear compression from repeated tyre runs.

being easy to install does attract less desirable installers. :(

I'm not keen on block paving because it's not maintenance free as with grass and weeds growing on them and also the block paving sand come up to the surface after the rain which you're bringing it indoors, I think any concrete type providing it done correctly is less hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back