Concrete mix advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am making a flat slab (like a paving stone) to sit on top of a BBQ chimney.

It will sit on 4 half bricks, 1 at each corner. Therefore the slab needs to be quite strong. I will put rebar inside, but I am a little confused about the mix.

Usually, I mix 1:4 cement and ballast. But sometimes the stones are quite large and visible in the finished slab. If I mix 1:4 cement and sharp sand - would the slab be weaker?

I don't understand why ballast (bigger stones) would make it stronger than sharp sand.

Advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yeah it’d be weaker
You could float the surface as it’s setting to lose the stones, not that I reckon you’d get loads of knobbly stones visible anyway
Or look at “grano dust”

Hi,

I don't understand why ballast (bigger stones) would make it stronger than sharp sand.

Advice appreciated
The smaller the aggregate the more binder(cement or lime) you need to cover each particle. With concrete the smaller sand grains fill in the voids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back