Concrete Mix for Driveway/Path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing concrete driveway which extends to a path round the back of the house. The corner of this has been missing since before I bought the house and it's also cracked as it's far too thin (and tapers away to nothing at the edge). I don't actually use this section of driveway other than to walk on, but I plan to cut it off neatly and relay a section to a decent depth.

I've used all-in-one ballast before for laying a base for a garden wall. Will this be fine for this job or are there benefits to buying separate gravel and sharp sand and mixing it myself? If I was to buy the separate bits, I notice that Wickes sell 10mm and 20mm gravel - which would I use and when would the other be used?

Sponsored Links
All in ballast will be fine. 10mm stone is a little easier to trowel and finish generally speaking and more suitable for shallower depth slabs such as 75/100mm.

Consider readymix or at least price it as often the cost of buying and getting materials delivered for small jobs can mean its almost the same as just buying readymix which is obviously miles less work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back