concrete mix for fence 2.4 post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im going to erect a 10 metre long X 6ft high fence, id like someone to advise me of the best mix for the concrete to go around the post.

or is postcrete going to be just as good?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
postcrete is fine, or a normal 1:6 mix of dry mix concrete. Keep the hole small in cross section size and ram the concrete in well. If its not rapid set then add the water at the end of the days work.

what would be the better postcrete to buy?,and how many bags per post? also whats the best method for using the postcrete?

many thanks.

the hansons one is the best, has more aggregate in it. if you dont dig the hole 2 big then allow about 1 bag per hole

get the post lined up, half fill with the post creet and then ram it well in on all sides (it will move the post slightly when you do it, so re-adjust it. then pour the rest in and ram down well again. We noramlly add the water at the end of the day as it allows us to work on the fence without disturbing the concrete. If its rammed in well then the dry stuff will hold it firm anyway. At the end of the day pour on the water

Sponsored Links
i think the ground is quite soft,should i put ballast in the postcrete?

also any tips on getting the post to the correct depth, do i just mesure 2ft of the post and mark it?

many thanks!

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:01 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think the ground is quite soft,should i put ballast in the postcrete?

also any tips on getting the post to the correct depth, do i just mesure 2ft of the post and mark it?

many thanks!

anyone?????

postcrete has got ballast in it. As regards correct depth, is the ground on the fence run sloping?

mark the botoom of your posts for 2 feet and then double check youve got enough left at the top for the gravel board and fence panel. Drop them in the hole and then you can cut the tops to suit. make sure youve got a few inches as it will allow for any difference in the height of the panel tops if youre ground is slightly uneven. Easy as that (gets more difficult when its sloping ground and youve got a fancy topped fence post!)

thanks for all this info thermo,your putting my mind at ease mate!

after this im going to post a pic before/after...

and id also be looking for advise on indian sandstone as thats my next wee project. 18sqm,if youd be so kind to give advice?

many thanks.

View media item 9348 this is going to be my long term project.

you may want to try your picture again.

the one i see is small and on its side. the diynot software will shrink it for you for the thumbnail

thanks for all this info thermo,your putting my mind at ease mate!

after this im going to post a pic before/after...

and id also be looking for advise on indian sandstone as thats my next wee project. 18sqm,if youd be so kind to give advice?

many thanks.

this is the best pic i have.

also this is the estimate i had been given

but due to unforseen circumstances,im going to try to do it.

I have compiled a quote for the proposed works that we discussed at last weeks site survey, and provided a seperate quote for the fence works and hope that these figures lie within your expected budget.I've attached a couple of images of similar works our company has carried out that you may wish to view, The clients, Ron Stewart of Balerno and George Shand of Dreghorn respectively, are happy to provide references should you wish to contact them. I can these details onto you should you wish to do so?

My company has public liability with Accord Consultancy Ltd, up to the value of £1.5million, covering all staff and work areas throughout the work phases.

The list of proposed works include the following:

1. Uplift existing pavers running parallel to the house and stack along the back fence whilst area for shed is dug out and prepped for laying 12no: (900x600x50mm).

2. Install compacted subbase and 50mm of screeded granite sand.

3. Lay recycled slabs - butt jointed and finished with kiln dried sharp sand.

4. Dig out and remove waste material form new patio and path.

5. Prepare and install compacted subbase(50mm min) type#1 aggregate.

6. Install 18sqm natural stone pavers(mixed sizes). Pointing gaps to be filled with M-joint pre-mixed pointing mix. Gaps to be 12-30mm width.

7. Install 2no: 10.3m long, timber fences along side boundaries. 6' post and slatted timber - to match existing boundary fencing.

8.Rotovate, rake and prepare lawn area one day prior to turf arrival. Landscape rake until evenly graded, ensuring to remove any stones larger than 30mm diameter. Rake in screeded loam compost to act as initial boost feed for turf. Ensure to leave areas of bare/rotovated earth where planting borders are to be positioned.

9. Install 60sqm or turf roll and water-in to aid establishment of turf root system.
Note: Daily watering of turf is essential for succesful turf establishment during the first 14 days. And important that foot traffic is kept to an utter minimum during this period.

10.Tidy site and remove all tools and building waste.

11. Completion of works and succesful handover of site from contractor to client.

Cost Breakdown:

Tool/waste hire:
Compaction plate
petrol mixer
Stihl saw and blade
8 ton skip
Machine fuel
Total = £463.72

Materials: (Including delivery)
2 tons type#1 aggregate
3 tons granite sand
8 bags ordinary cement
5ltr Plasticizer and Hardener(frost protector)
18 sqm Natural stone pavers(mixed sizes)- Buff colour
25kg Kiln dried silver sand
1no:bulk bag screeded loam soil mix/feed
60 sqm turf roll
Total = £941.66

Time/Labour:
2 labor hands for handling, preparation of ground works, materials and installation of works.
Estimated time for project 8 days
All Labour will be provided at a rate of £300 per day. So, 8 x 300 = £2400.00
Total = £2400.00
This figure is liable to slight change due to actual number of days required to complete works. Please note this figure will not go up, even if works run beyond projected time. However, say for example, we finish in seven days, then the final figure for time would be lowered to, 7 x 300 = £2100. I use this method in order to provide best value for my clients and make sure clients don't pay more than they should for any works carried out.

Estimated Grand Total
Paving and turf works = (463.72 + 941.66 + 2400.00) = £3805.38

Proposed fence works (2 x 10.3m timber fence)
Materials:
10no: (100x100x2400mm) timber posts
18no:(32x75x3600mm) Rails
140no:(19x100x2100mm) Slats
15bags post-crete post mix
fixings
Labour/Time
Total = £794.65

hi anyone want to comment on the stimate i was given im interested in how to use the plasterciser,if indded i do have to use it,and also

as regards the estimate not much point as you wont be going for it!

no you dont need plasticiser for the paving. Dont use any pre mix pointing mix, and the pointing gaps certainly shouldnt vary that much over the paving.

As regards laying it, there is plenty of similar questions that i have ansered on the site, have a quick search to get a general idea and then come back with any questions you may have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back