Concrete or dry mix for base for raised pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,
Would really appreciate some advice from someone with more experience than me!

I have an area of the garden which is hardstanding (concrete) but which has begun to fall away (we leave on a hill). It loses about an inch and a half over the four feet I need to be level.

I would like to put a raised/above ground pond on this area using a preformed self supporting plastic tub 6ftx4ft but obviously need a level base for it to ensure I don't see any of the side above water level.

Once on the base, I will build a timber surround and backfill between the timber surround and the pond, so the base I build beneath the pond will not be exposed to the elements.

I was thinking of putting in some timber form work, then a fairly lean dry mix of cement to sharp sand (1:10) - but will that be strong enough, and would it withstand being mined away by ants and the like - should I go for either a stronger or wetter mix?

Advice gratefully received!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would go stronger more like 6:1, compact it and screed it level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back