Concrete outbuilding roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!

I have a 1950's property that has an outbuilding approx 6 x 10 foot, which I want to demolish.

The main stumbling block is the roof, it is a solid cast steel reinforced concrete one, approx 5 to 6 inches thick.

How do I go about getting rid of this?

My current thoughts are either:

1) Whilst hiring a digger to do other works, attempt to smack the bucket down in the middle of the roof, hoping it will fold in (unlikely I know)

2) Hire some hydraulic rams/jacks, and slowly lower it after demolishing the supporting walls, but does any such jacks, tall enough, exist and what are they called.

Any help greatly received.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
It is likely to be let into the wall a bit.

Get a decent breaker onto the roof and break out the bit that goes into the wall. Break enough material away so that you can cut the rebar.

You could then set about demolishing the building but we would chomp away at the roof until there was only 'safe' sized bits to get down, UNLESS you have a suitably weighted digger to deal with it safely.

Know your limits. A small digger will have little impact upon an intact and aged reinforced concrete roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back