Concrete over stone floor - Repair or rip out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all :cool:

I fancied a nice straight forward project in my house that I could do between now and going back to work in the new year. My entrance hall seemed like the obvious choice and I'm new to DIY [late bloomer] so ripping up the old carpet and putting down some new wood flooring plus a lick of paint seemed straight forward enough.

Underneath the carper were old ceramic tiles which weren't particularly level in places, and with the carpet removed there wouldn't have been much clearence between the door and the new floor. So up come the old tiles. I think they were held down with cement so it's been a fun day. Under the cement is concrete, under that seems to be a good old slab of Yorkshire stone, and under that is my cellar.

Around the edges some of the concrete has come up with the tiles, and I've chipped away at some off the loose stuff and brought that up too, but if I'm honest I don't think the cement is coming up without taking the concrete up with it. And it's only small but I'd like to avoid having to put down new concrete through fear of not being able to get it level or damaging the stone, but with that said if I leave the concrete in place I don't think it's going to be level anyway.

The flooring I'd like is engineered wood. And with this being my first project with more to come I'd like to try and get it as level as possible.

I've attached a few photos to show what I'm up against. Should I fill the gaps with concrete or something else, or rip up the lot and go back to the stone, and then attempt to try and put down new concrete?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated please :D

IMG_20181230_145020.jpg IMG_20181230_190259.jpg IMG_20181230_191052.jpg IMG_20181230_190400.jpg

Sponsored Links
i cant see how much area youve got to do but hring a corded SDS chisel would bring the lot up quicksticks - altho a lot would depend on how stuck to the stone the layers are?
if youve damaged the stone it can be reversed for a good side.therl be more than a single one piece stone.
you want to examine the joist pockets in the cellar walls for wood rot to the supportin joist tails.

what you call concrete is sand an cement bulked up with chippins.
dependin on the depth to make up, a sand an cement floor screed can be used - no chippins.

for any new FFL your benchmark is the outside door threshold. the door must swing freely over any installed surface.

Thanks for your reply.

If have a look at the second image and over to the right you can see where the concrete has come up which exposes the stone. The fourth image gives you a rough idea of the layers.

The stone isn't damaged. I just don't want to damage it trying to get the cement and concrete up, but in order to get a level surface I can remove them.

If I remove everything so I'm right back to the stone, is there a minimum thickness I should be looking at when I apply concrete?

....sorry for asking daft questions, I am a noob when it comes to this kind of thing.

Sponsored Links
One further question, if I rip everything up and go back to the original Yorkshire stone, do I even need to bother with concrete / cement, could I just use a self levelling compond instead? Perhaps a layer of PVA on the stone and the self levelling compound on top?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back