Concrete Pillar Caps for Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished rebuilding my garden wall, and wondered if I could save a bit of money buy making my own pillar caps (I need 10). Problem is, I don't know the best way of doing this. I presume I make a wooden form, use a sharp sand/cement mix, then pour it in the form, and make sure I put a drip slot. I also presume I need to use some form of liquid/oil whatever to ensure the cap doesn't stick to the form, also it should not colour the concrete. I am hoping someone can give me some idea of the best approach to this.

Sponsored Links
if time is money then you will never in a world of p*ss pots save anything by making your own.

if you do decide to make your own mould, it will need to be smooth. yes there are release agents you can spray onto the mould prior to slop.

you will need to get the correct aggregate/ cement ratio right. you will also need to let them cure. make sure you vibrate the mould to get all the air out.

good luck. you'll need it.

Apart from not saving money, I doubt you will get it sufficiently dense and well-consolidated, so it will not be hard and rain-resistant.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your feedback JohnD and Noseall, it helped me to decide what to do. Time was not an issue, indeed I could have spent a year, however.... I managed to find a local pre-cast firm that let me have the ten I needed at a good price. So they are now fitted and tchucter is happy.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back