Help - Finish to pillars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are doing an extension above our garage which extends beyond the gable garage wall by 1m with three pillars forming a walkway.

In the initial drawings the architect instructed that these pillars would be done in red brick to match the existing house.

Yesterday we found that the builder, using revised architect drawings, had used poured concrete, rather than red brick, to encase the steel uprights. We believe this will spoil the look of the extension particularly from the road.

I discussed this with the architect this morning and was told that due to the steel structure the use of red brick would have led to an unsightly (50mm) lip in the building structure. While this may have been possible I have expressed my disappointment that we were not conculted on this change before it was implemented.

The point of my post, however, is to seek advice on whether there is any appropriate solution to this problem, e.g. facing brick or some other form of brick effect finish to make these concrete pillars fit in with the rest of the house.

Thanks

Owen

Sponsored Links
Ignoring the inevitable who did what to whom debate I'm sure something can be done, can you post a pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back