Structural Supporting Pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a kitchen extension being built in a shalt style bungalow which involves removing one of the internal walls. Above the wall being demolished is a bedroom and the pitched roof (all wood and tiles. No brick work). The steel specified for the job is 6.7m long x 203 x 203 with a total weight of 400kg, this is to be mounted on two 300mm x 220mm x 215mm pad stones. This pad stone will sit on top of the existing internal skin of thermalite block and external skin of house bricks.

Should the supporting wall that the pad stone is going to be sitting on, not be a newly constructed pillar manufactured from say engineering bricks to support the load? (the structural drawing as present does not specify this as a requirement).

I hope that I have provided sufficient information.

Sponsored Links
300mm x 220mm x 215mm pad stones. This pad stone will sit on top of the existing internal skin of thermalite block and external skin of house bricks.

I don't like the idea of the pad stone sitting across the cavity and being visible externally. What is the highest total reaction at the ends of your beam?

What is the highest total reaction at the ends of your beam?[/QUOTE]

Could you give me a little more info to understand your point. I can add that the pad stones will when installed be on an internal wall (we have a couple of 600mm nibs as part of the internal structure.

Sponsored Links
So you've built an extension, and what was once the external cavity wall is now an internal wall which is being removed, right?
And you've got 600 long returns at each end of the beam?
With that length of return, and assuming the returns are bonded to the walls at right-angles, you wouldn't need a new pier.
Your SE would have worked out the reaction (ie load) at each end of the beam,and will have sized the padstones to adequately spread the load to the masonry
immediately below the pads.

Ok, that's a bit clearer. As Tony says, SE would have calculated the load on the piers and a pad stone to suit. The only thing I might expect to be added is a note to check, when exposed, that all the masonry is in good condition.

Well it appears now that structural pillars are to be provided. Just so I know, do the new Piers sit on the existing floor level (block and beam) or do they have to go all the way down to the existing concrete foundations?

By 'structural pillars', do you mean that the existing masonry is to be replaced by new masonry, or that perhaps steel columns are to be installed instead?
Either way, I suspect the structural design may be getting a little out-of-hand.

Yes some of the old bricks will be replaced with 20N/mm2 brickwork tooth bonded and the steel will sit on this, via a pad stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back