Concrete Pillar Caps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of pillar caps to install on my driveway. I've decided to go down the plastic mould route and make my own but I'm not sure of the best type of concrete to use. I could of course use a standard mix concrete, alternatively something out of a premixed bag to get a really nice finish. Anyone able to help me with this?? I'd rather spend a bit more on premixed if it means the finished cap will look far better. Is a quicksetting Postcrete a suitable product?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help....

Sponsored Links
I haven’t done this, but was talking to a chap who moulded his own items.

He used ‘granno dust’ as it gave a nicer finish. You can get it a some builders merchants in tonne bags, occasionally you can find 25kg bags too.

The pebbles in normal aggregate are too big. You need pea-gravel and screed sand (more sand than normal concrete to avoid voids in the surface), or granno chippings (not dust).

And vibrate the mould with a drill or something

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...
The question about Postcrete or similar still stands as it is mainly composed of small aggregates. I'd like to think it would provide a nice smooth finish and vibrate well to get rid of voids. On the negative side, presumably it isn't so strong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back