Concrete Post Extenders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a mid-terrace house with 6 ft high fence on both sides but concrete posts that are 5 ft on one side and 3 feet on other (please refer to attached pics).

I do not wish to remove the posts (set in concrete) and install new ones. Could someone please advise some suitable options for extending the concrete posts?

Ideally I would like to put solar lamps on top of extended posts (but not mandatory).

Thanks in advance.
20180605_210915.jpg
20180605_210906.jpg

Sponsored Links
you can buy posts up to about 10'.
to be safe, you need 25% in the ground ( 8 foot post makes a 6 foot fence)

changing the posts can be hard but using the post as a lever may help, I'd also look into a farm jack

Psar,
As you do not want to remove the concrete posts and as concrete , I would buy some "Slotted Wood Fence Posts" that I would cut in length to match the missing length and tap them down between the two fences until resting on the concrete to fill the gap.
I would then screw the two fence panels to the wood post.

They would add no strength (as simply sitting on-top of the concrete posts), but would be a quick fix to fill the gaps.

Links here:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-H-S...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNCm07G5y9sCFU0y0wod8EEMCw
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=slotted+wood+fence+posts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ok
so you could easily make something that was similar.
If it was me I'd use timber that nearly touched the ground, hiding the concrete post. It would be stronger than shown and could be tailor made to fit each post and each side.

Thanks for your replies folks. I can see some light at the end of a tunnel (and no its not an oncoming train)

So I like this idea to use Feather Edge timber from top to bottom (covering the concrete fence post).
Am I correct in assuming that I would need to make a U shaped cover to overlap the concrete post fully?
Do I do that with a slim Arris fence rail on the edges?

You could make ones the same as you linked with some basic treated 2x1 and 5 or 6x1

You could make ones the same as you linked with some basic treated 2x1 and 5 or 6x1

No Ian, the link I sent has extenders that sit on top of concrete post. Now going for full cover of concrete post (on top and a small edge on both sides)

Let me visit my local yard to see what I can find. Will update soon, many thanks again.

I am looking to do the same thing.. I was told to dig along side the 4 ft cement post, secure the new wooden post on the side of it. Then feather edge the front so you don’t see any posts..

This is how mine looks now. I made a frame using feather edge timber that slid tightly on the concrete posts. The panels were then screwed into these posts.
>

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back