Extending fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, just seeking advice!

Feather-edge fence is currently 4-5 feet high. Looking to higher the fence to about 6 feet (neighbour's permission granted).

I'll be purchasing new feather-edge boards (6 ft), but trying to cut down on costs... So looking to extend the current posts rather than putting new ones in.

Would you use nail plates (100 x 200mm - screwfix: 50174) or use 2 x timber lengths (100 x 10mm) to sandwich new 1-2 ft x 100x100 post?

I'm also debating whether or not to leave the current fence as it is, extend the posts and put new featheredge horizontally on top, again to cut down on costs, but I question how shoddy this might look !!!

Just need a few opinions!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
you need new post
you will virtually double the load on the post in high winds with the greater surface area and greater amount off leverage

you may get away with trellise and plants on top ??

you need new post
you will virtually double the load on the post in high winds with the greater surface area and greater amount off leverage

you may get away with trellise and plants on top ??

Thanks for your help big-all

I see what you mean, it makes sense.

About the featherboards, have you ever seen half and half featherboards laid vertically (bottom half) and horizontally (top half). Personally I can imagine it would look quite good.

as 90% of existing ones are in pretty good condition, I don't want to spend out on new featherboards to span the whole 6 feet length.

Thanks

you need new post

Excuse my lack of knowledge here!

Please clarify, I need a new post because:

0) it does not matter that the post will be joined, but rather;
1) existing post is presumably not deep enough in the ground
2) there was not enough cement poured in the hole

Fence was erected in 1996 and to be honest there is no way of me telling if the post could hold the extra weight and the extra force of the wind, for all I (we) know the post could handle the extra height.

As there is little danger i.e. no kids and it can only fall one way (my way as there are 8 feet conifers in the neighbours garden) I think the extra costs outweigh the small risk and it's worth going ahead, I do not own the property so I'm not intent on overspending unless it is a ultimate necessity.

Sponsored Links
It's not absolutely neccessary to replace the posts , although it may be easier.
I've successfully jointed several posts in my garden although I wpuldn't use metal plates as this looks frankly rough. I've used what I call a scissor joint for want of a better term and have also spliced roof rafters in the same way. Lenght of the joint is around 6-9 inches , and I have used cascamite glue and a couple of stainless nails although I've found this joint will hold itsself together dry when knocked up tightly.

_IGP1342.jpg

I have also built an arbour out of 5 foot offcuts and there are loads of this type of joint in its construction.
As you can see I've actually chosen a post with a knot by the joint to show how strong it is :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back