Concrete Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at concrete worktops for my grill area outside. I'm going for the pour in situ method and I'm posting to ask what mix to use. US seems to be the home of concrete worktops, and try as I might I can't seem to find a comparable mix to the ones they show in the vids. It appears to have no aggregate in it; rather a thick, soupy cement mix.

Does anybody have any idea of a UK product or can anyone suggest a menu for casting nice smooth white concrete?

Thanks.

CG

Sponsored Links
I did something like that. I used a mix of 2:1 sand to cement (snowcrete), reinforced with approx. 5% glass fibre. That turned it from a sloppy mortar mix into a weird unappetising spaghetti dish.

The sand was a vibrant yellow so the effect is creamy rather than white, you'd need dye (or white sand?) to get a good white shade.

Mine was a sub-scale demonstrator before I got round to doing a full sized table. It made an excellent child's picnic bench though.

The odd patina on the top is due to an attempt to seal the concrete, which I don't think I got right.

Last edited:
IT Minion, thanks for that- the result is better than I was hoping for...

Couple of questions...

Is yours a make-in-the-mould version, where you turn it out afterwards and the 'best' side was on the bottom;
or, is it a trowelled finish on show, after chucking the mix in a tray and smoothing it off?

My plan is the latter, with a tile surface as a fall back if it's carp! Either way, may I pm you about the process?

Cheers

CG

IT Minion, thanks for that- the result is better than I was hoping for...

Couple of questions...

Is yours a make-in-the-mould version, where you turn it out afterwards and the 'best' side was on the bottom;
or, is it a trowelled finish on show, after chucking the mix in a tray and smoothing it off?

My plan is the latter, with a tile surface as a fall back if it's carp! Either way, may I pm you about the process?

Cheers

CG
Made in the mould. Melanie cast with silicone around the corners to give a rounded corner edge finish. I applied 'face' coat applied by hand then the fibre reinforced mix layered in afterwards. Despite my efforts one or two fibres did poke out the top which let the look down a bit, but plucking them out sorted it.

The underside is very rough, you'd struggle to get a nice finish with the fibres, although if you're tiling the top it's irrelevant. Happy to share additional details but I don't think I can claim it's the right way to do it yet. It'll need more time to prove that.

PM away, but I'm happy to dump and details on this thread for posterity.

Sponsored Links
Use grano not ballast. 3:1 will do, 2:1 if you are nervous. You'll need something to vibrate the mould to toughen the slab up, hammer drill or sander.

Trowel the top or rub with polythene, when the water has evaporated and the mix begun to set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back