Concrete 'skirt' around 1950's house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just a curiosity question. I have a 1952 house. Around the perimeter there is a concrete 'skirt' cast at ground level only a fraction of a brick below the lower dpc level.

Any ideas of its purpose? It doesn't seem intergral to the foundations. My thoughts were it was to encourage water way from the house as its on a slight slope??

Very curious. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
The face work measurements were often reset at DPC when the brickwork was stuck up first. Could be it was well off and they made it look like this was intended as it was so far out.

The face work measurements were often reset at DPC when the brickwork was stuck up first. Could be it was well off and they made it look like this was intended as it was so far out.

Hi stuart45.

Thanks for the response but i didn't quite understand what you meant. You mean they raised the ground level to be closer to the DPC?
All the adjacent properties have a similar 'skirt' including those running further up the road.

If all the others are the same, it was probably done as a feature to throw any water away from the DPC. It's not a common thing to do.
Sorry, misread the first post. Thought you meant the way the brickwork was forming a plinth.

Sponsored Links
If all the others are the same, it was probably done as a feature to throw any water away from the DPC. It's not a common thing to do.
Sorry, misread the first post. Thought you meant the way the brickwork was forming a plinth.

No problem.

Yeh i thought it may be to encourage water away from sitting next to the brickwork.
Also never seen the feature before either.

Thanks for the input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back