house foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My house is a detached built around 1993. I just found on one side of the house, the earth ground level seems to be quite low (the street is on a small slope and this side is at the lower level). As a result a small part of the foundation is exposed above the ground. Not 100% sure, but I mean the bottom "layer" is not brick, but concrete. You can see it from the photos (the ground is covered in gravels). Some of the cement on the surface is missing, leaving gaps. Is this normal? Thanks for any advice!
IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0722.JPG

Sponsored Links
First question is where is your DPC? It should be at least 150mm above external ground level, and often blockwork will be used up to DPC level as facing bricks are not suitable for use below DPC. It doesn't look like your DPC is at the junction between brick and block.

However, you are not looking at the foundation - you are just looking at a wall built from concrete blocks. The foundation concrete will be lower down. If you dig a little way down you should expose the concrete if trench fill. If strip it could be a lot lower with many courses of block built off it.

I see. thanks for your reply! Yes, the dpc is some way above. As shown in the photo, some cement is missing from the concrete blocks. Is this normal and should I be concerned?

I see. thanks for your reply! Yes, the dpc is some way above. As shown in the photo, some cement is missing from the concrete blocks. Is this normal and should I be concerned?
No, it's nothing to be worried about.

The facing bricks below DPC will most likely spall eventually,but short of replacing them one by one there's nothing you can do about that. I wouldn't be worrying about it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dont worry about it. I have seen footings laid with a shovel rather than trowel before...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back