on waterproofing (victorian) foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is the general consensus on applying a waterproof render on the foundation of a (victorian terraced) house?

Background: frontroom is damp (water pooling on the bare ground below floor level, plaster in walls close the the water pool is blown).
We are in the process of digging away clay-ish soil from the front garden, on a slope towards the street, with the plan to fill it back up with hardcore / gravel. The idea behind it is to make it easier for outside water to drain away towards the front of the property rather than our house walls.

We have been told we should expose the whole foundations and waterproof render it.
I think it could be a pointless exercise, as even if the front of it is waterproof rendered, the back and bottom of the foundation will still sit on wet soil; if anything it will make it harder for the foundations to ever dry out when weather allows and I am afraid it is all going to backfire up the walls.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Stop with the digging and post pics of all the areas of concern: outside at ground level, and inside the house at FFL/damp signs.

Sponsored Links
well, I'm glad the three replies I received are all in sync with my gut feeling!

@ted456 I think I had a whole thread going on at the end of last year, will see if I can find it; not much as changed in all these long months, haven't done any more digging or other.
We are just getting geared up to get cracking again as we really do want a living room this winter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back