Exterior foundation walls of end terrace needs waterproofing/securing at/below ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please? Water slowly seeping through base of 200 year old terrace house into the basement ceiling over several years. Rogue builder tried repairing by just putting in cement/sand in places a couple years ago. Leaks continued in various places and affecting where basement wall meets basement ceiling. Now got two widely varying quotes to fix exterior (stop seepage). Do the below steps sound right please?

1. Remove bricks near plinth and dig trench/channel? OP: how deep should the trench be dug?
2. Clean/Brush off wall below ground. Repair and cracks.
3. Apply primer with trowel, then resin. Add waterproof mesh/membrane.
4. Apply a layer of flexible waterproof resin with a brush.
5. Close trench with sand and cement.
6. Fit new paving bricks with sand, cement and waterproof resin grout.
7. Waterproof plinth by applying (a) primer, (b) 2 coats of black damp course membrane paint
IMG_2470.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg
IMG_2472.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looking at your pictures of the internal walls, and the height of the vents in the outside wall, I'm guessing we're talking about surface water finding its way through the walls, rather than ground water penetrating the walls and causing damp.
Your quote seems to address the latter, rather than the former.

It is the former, ie surface/ground water finding its way through the wall. What steps would address that?

Who does the paving belong to? Which way does it slope?

Stand back and take a much wider pic of the entire side of the house, from the roof to the paving. Include all gutters, downpipes and drains.

Sponsored Links
Hi John D -
The bricks immediately touching and perpendicular to the house belongs to me.
The rest of the pavement is public and belongs to the council.
I think there is a very slight slope away from the front of the house towards the bollard.
thanks
IMG_2510.jpg

Is it possible to discuss with the council and explaining the problem to them, of you creating a surface water barrier a little away from your wall?
It seems to me that you want to prevent water running along your wall, so it can't find it's way into your house.

Where does this discharge? Looks like it's going into the wall?
Could that be the culprit
Screenshot_20221009-171356_Chrome.jpg

Pat - the council have been unhelpful. Its also grade 2 listed so that makes it even harder. But yes I want to prevent water running along the wall.

Jacko - the pipe goes through the basement (see attached) but doesn't seem to be the culprit as the seepage and water damage look to be where at the ceiling join (so I'm guessing its surface water seeping through).

Is this a matter of trust your builder? I've only been able to get one person to give me a detailed quote (after calling 20+ people). The other quote doesn't have details yet. I'll try to find some more.

IMG_2512.jpg

Hmmm.
I'd still suspect / inspect that pipe a bit further, especially the join of metal to plastic, that I'm guessing is buried in the wall. I had a very similar setup (although going underground into soakaway, that was silted up). With heavy rain, the volume of water / pressure was enough to eat the concrete and dig a new channel...

You mentioned yours a terrace. Assuming neighbours have similar construction and basements. Do they have similar water issues? I'd expect them all to have the same problems if it is just seepage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back