Concrete slab floor - Insulation under slab. Do I need a screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working out the details of a floor construction for a single storey extension. Each guide I look at asks for a different thickness of screed, some don't reference at all. I am trying to keep the overall thickness of the non-hardcore layers down due to shallow drains running under the floor, and I am considering excluding the screed, or using the absolute minimum thickness.

What actually is the purpose of the screed layer when directly on top of the concrete slab? Could the final finish be a levelling compound or similar straight onto the concrete floor? If no, what is the absolute minimum screed depth? There is no underfloor heating.

with thanks!

Sponsored Links
50mm minimum. Or it will fail.

Screed gives a smooth, flat finish which you won't get with concrete or self leveller

What actually is the purpose of the screed layer
As per Woody.

It also provides a measure of flexibility in that you can set the over-site concrete slab height to accommodate the screed thickness thus leaving you to 'marry' the two floors (exiting and new) together accurately, once you have done the knock through.

You can achieve a finish with concrete but it's not for the feint hearted or for a diy'er. Plus you will have the scarring problem of the wall thickness to consider once you do the knock through and the uncertainty of whether the existing screed will be level with the new concrete or indeed if the existing screed is actually running level at all.

A sub-slab is also somewhat sacrificial in that it you need not worry about all the knocks, snots and scrapes whilst you are building.

There are also opportunities for ducting through screed should you need to.

I don't know if your problem has been solved but I am planning the conversion of my Garage ( according to celotex spec) but have been recommend not to lay a screed but to polish the concrete instead - my builders say that this is the way the industry is heading........I am interested to hear what experienced members think

Sponsored Links
my builders say that this is the way the industry is heading

Are these red-nosed builders referring to the circus industry?

I cant even see how that would be of any use for a garage conversion

Well woody, it's like this, I was going to lay 100mm slab onto 100mm Celotex followed by a 65mm screed (with the usual DPM and VCL) the builders suggestion will save both time and money and re-reading the Celotex spec if one uses insulation under the slab - the 65 mm is not required and will not effect the U value.......so it is very relevant to garage conversion. The builder don't have red noses and ... bla bla.
Nosall
Perhaps I should add that polishing the concrete would only be required if the surface was too rough. I intend to finish engineered flooring

Thanks for your replies...

I did a small extension without screed - 3m x 2m and managed to trowel the concrete flat enough. You certainly couldn't tell once there was wooden floor underlay and flooring on top.

Edited to add - it helps if you have enough unbuilt walls that you can use a straight edge to get it fairly flat to start with. That might not always be the case depending on how you're attaching the extension to the house.

Hello Woody, Sorry to take so long in getting back to you, building regs call for the existing slab to be broken up and replaced with one suitable for habitation.
The garage floor needs to be level with the entrance to the house. Since posting my topic I have undertaken some research and frankly I think that I will opt for a screed, my reason is that in attempting to achieve a surface level with the immediate room ( the entrance from garage to kitchen) would be difficult and no doubt would require the use of a self levelling compound to achieve the required level....my Lady requires matching tiles (can't find them ) or engineered wood flooring which would be unforgiving if the levels were not spot on.......unless someone can think of a better way........
Thanks for your comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back