concrete slab or timber posi joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm at design stage of self build project, trying to decide flooring system for first floor, concrete slab or post joists. have opted for no under floor heating upstairs.
any advice re advantages of concrete slab flooring other than sound proofing??

Sponsored Links
If you are putting a slab floor upstairs why not underfloor heating as well its prime floor for that?

Using a slab makes it in my mind harder for services but if you are designing from scratch you can overcome that.

not going for underfloor heating anywhere in house as anyone I've spoken to says slow response time for house to heat up, standard radiators seem to be our choice.

just wondering re any other advantages to slab floors. as if not having underfloor is there much point??

Sponsored Links
Everyone to their own, but having lived in a flat with rads and now, a self-built house with UFH, I know what I prefer.

Yes, UFH takes time to heat up, but once the slab is warm, it takes forever to cool. The next time the heating comes on, it only has to warm the floor a little, since it is already warm. The internal temp is much more even with UFH. My flow temp is only around 36C as opposed to around 50 for the flat with rads.

My two bed maisonette was costing around £1200 per year for gas and elec. The new build, four bed house costs around £1000. UHF is a no-brainer in my opinion.

not going for underfloor heating anywhere in house as anyone I've spoken to says slow response time for house to heat up, standard radiators seem to be our choice.

just wondering re any other advantages to slab floors. as if not having underfloor is there much point??

For the sake of noise if you can afford it then go for a slab.

Off topic a little.

I can assure you if you can put in UFH you will not regret it! I was sceptical, my only regret now is that I did not put it in upstairs. The simple solution to no heat instantly if you have for example turned it off for winter or a holiday etc is to have a few electric radiators or in our case a Log burner.

I even went for a cheap system, which turned out to have a decent brand pump and manifold its been working 18 months and I am very happy with it. My UFH was put into the same circuit as the radiators which all have TRVs (I will eventfully as funds allow change them to digital valves) which is a little pain as UFH only runs when rads run (although the UFH zones are digitally controlled also) BUT in the two winters we have now used it I have found 3 hours running in the AM keeps the room toasty most of the day when temps are 2 to 6 degrees when they hit the -0s I have to run the log burner or turn the heating back on. In the evening it doesn't really kick in but the rads do this is down to the digital control on the UFH being at temp.

Happy to discuss more if you require any info.

Back to topic.

If you can afford solid go for it as I have never heard anyone complain about them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back