Do I need a screed layer on top of the concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

Self building (planning stage) my own extension.
I intend to put electrical under floor heating mats under laminate floor.

The extension (internally) is 4.6m by 6.6m

My question is: Could omitt the usual screed layer on top of the 150mm slab and below the UFH underlay , mats and laminate flloor.

and if yes, whats the best way of getting a smooth finish and leveled concrete slab>

I am a Newbie in that sort of projects...

Thank you for your help

Regards
Geraud

Sponsored Links
Achieving a premium finish on concrete is not easy and is risky in the winter months.

Having said that screeding floors to a decent standard is not exactly a barrel of laughs either.

Personally, we choose to screed because of the faff getting a decent finish on concrete.

The problem with concrete is it tends to pool and sag in the middle - hence the screed.

Sponsored Links
Also, is there a reason for going electric ? Since you aren't constrained by an existing floor structure), you would be better going wet unless there is a specific reason for going electric. Wet will normally heat up faster and be cheaper to run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back