Finish Floor, wood on top of slab, screed different level issue. Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm on the bit of renovation and found out after removing the carpet that my slab is in concrete with wood planks on top.

I have removed some plank and some black paint seems to be on the slab. My question is because the living room has an extension and the level is 15mm different some latex was applied before the carpet.

As my new finish floor will be 20mm engineering floor my question is. can I remove the old wooden planks and install the flooring directly on the slab with the appropriate underlayer or I need to leave the plank for better isolation?

Where I have the extension with a screed on top. can I remove the screed and apply flooring with concrete underlay directly?

Attachments

• 20200314_163803.jpg
    20200314_163803.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 20200314_163805.jpg
    20200314_163805.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 20200314_164344.jpg
    20200314_164344.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 269
Sponsored Links
so you have a living room which had carpet which you've removed.
below the carpet you have "wood plank" - do you mean like the T&G boards in the pic?
"latex" (or SLC) was applied to the surface of the "plank"/T&G boards?
the "latex" or probably self levelling compound, has raised the living room 15mm higher than the other room?
there is "black paint" or adhesive on the surface of the slab below the T&G board in the pic?

in one pic you have T&G floorboards showing at a lower level, & SLC on a conc slab is 15mm higher or so it seems?

if i understand - the higher floor is a slab and the other floor, the lower floor, is perhaps, a suspended floor with T&G boards on joists?
now you want to install some kind of flooring with a suitable underlay directly on to the slab floor?
do you intend to remove all the SLC?

so you have a living room which had carpet which you've removed.
below the carpet you have "wood plank" - do you mean like the T&G boards in the pic? Yes
"latex" (or SLC) was applied to the surface of the "plank"/T&G boards? latex was applied I believe to make a bit of ramp and connect the two-level
the "latex" or probably self levelling compound, has raised the living room 15mm higher than the other room?
there is "black paint" or adhesive on the surface of the slab below the T&G board in the pic? YES

in one pic you have T&G floorboards showing at a lower level, & SLC on a conc slab is 15mm higher or so it seems? YES

if i understand - the higher floor is a slab and the other floor, the lower floor, is perhaps, a suspended floor with T&G boards on joists? No Suspended Floor but T&G Board nailed to the concrete slab.

now you want to install some kind of flooring with a suitable underlay directly on to the slab floor? Yes and have the room at one level
do you intend to remove all the SLC?
can I remove the SLC to level it up because removing the T&G which are 18mm should get to the same level of the concrete.

I was thinking to remove the T&G as I may have some issue if placing another 20+3mm on top and rise all level too much

Sponsored Links
my mistake - i now see that both floors are concrete floors only one floor is T&G laid on raw concrete (with the black stain)
and the other, higher floor has SLC laid on concrete (see the middle photo)?

removing the SLC (shown in the middle concrete) will presumably give you a single level - but one half will show a concrete surface and the other half will show a T&G surface.

am i right so far?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back