concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at laying a concrete slab about 10x8 foot as a base for a shed, the thing that concerns me is that the slab will have to be formed onto shingle as the property is about half a mile away from the beach. From past ventures I have learnt that it doesn't matter how far you dig "by hand" all you find is more shingle.

What concerns me is movement of the slab, i.e will it crack, break etc, it would be appreciated if anyone can give me some suggestions, i.e how thick to make the slab can I put anything down before hand to give more stability.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
so long as shingle or pea gravel is contained then it is as good as base as any.

because the material is friable and loose, means that it is easy to undermine structures formed on shingle.

on the plus side, shingle will, to a degree, self heal where subsidence is concerned. it will also deal with problems of excess water a lot better too.

View media item 8583
Thanks noseall for your reply, I think my terminology for shingle wasn't quite correct, despite everyone calling the stones in the above picture shingle. As you can see, the stones are mostly about 2 inches round and it is this that I will be trying to lay a concrete slab onto, any ideas. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back