Concrete Step - water leeching though and rotting floorboards - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems the concrete step is leeching water through from outside to inside and part of it is in contact with the floorboards, they are rotten and will be replaced
The step starts outside and continues inside under the floorboardS
(so the part of the concrete step on the inside is wet)
How can I stop this, new rear kitchen door recently fitted (the old door was visibly leaking)
I was going to coat the outside of the step in thompsons water seal and put a dpm over the inside portion before replacing the rotten parts of the board.
would that work?

It seems the concrete step is leeching water through from outside to inside and part of it is in contact with the floorboards, they are rotten and will be replaced
The step starts outside and continues inside under the floorboardS
(so the part of the concrete step on the inside is wet)
How can I stop this, new rear kitchen door recently fitted (the old door was visibly leaking)
I was going to coat the outside of the step in thompsons water seal and put a dpm over the inside portion before replacing the rotten parts of the board.
would that work?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VtqD2RxVvQ2rFypG9
upload_2021-10-27_16-11-57.png

s!AvNmcLrhNEJ2goRO_C0hnY9ZCbwpow

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s not damage from the old door?

I’d take some of the floorboards up first and then take some pictures and post here, it could be damp from a wet ledger joist and/or from the door.

There could be condensation from the step too.

Sort the problem, not try to cover it...

Thank you, there appears to be dpm over part of it but not all, the concrete dried out after door fitting a week ago but is now wet again inside, but once kitchen finished Ill take up and post photos of whats underneath thanks, in meantime

where floorboards meet door inside with concrete step underneath
,second photo shows me liftin what I think may be dpm (Im learning new words every day, i try and google first but then come here)

upload_2021-10-27_16-22-53.png
upload_2021-10-27_16-23-17.png

When you come to it, chop it all back to the next joist.

Although it’s a suspended floor there doesn’t seem to be much air space to the ground (unless it’s difficult to see on the photo).

Looking at it the current floorboards are they sitting on the step or is there a piece of wood underneath them?

it won’t be a big problem to fix.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, near end of long and difficult renovation as complete novice, every problem seems rather large to me now as want it done (been living in it)
I did speak to the guys doing the renno multiple times (I just did all the donkey work to save cash) about sorting the floor before kitchen/door install but they just went ahead and did both, to me its the wrong order as photos I think show, however I am were I am and need it sorted properly (I guess I was naively hoping for a shortcut), appreciate the help.

Yeah there is a fair bit of space apart from where the backside of the step intrudes into the floor, which is what your looking at where my finger is.

The floorboards are resting directly on top of this, there is no other wood underneath it, just part dpm (again where my finger is).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back