External steps advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and need a bit of advice on some issues with the steps on my flat.

I live in a garden/basement flat in a Victorian townhouse. My entrance is below the steps to the above flats and they're causing some real problems. They are the original steps made of rendered brickwork with slate stone steps.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1422889010_5d09dd75359f30a875ecec14456d9a16

I can't seem to insert the image but the above link is the steps from the front (you go down to the right of the steps and into my door beneath).

There is a lot of damp coming in to the hall above my front door and I even had water pouring in at one point during a heavy storm.

The render is cracking and falling to bits, the slate is completely shot (there have been a couple of quick-fixes with steel angles fixed across underneath to stop the steps collapsing).

When it rains water pours through the steps. This is a real issue, as it is where the electric and gas comes in to the building and where all the meters are. The power has tripped a couple of times and I came back from holiday to find a defrosted fridge-freezer. Now the gas meters are below garden level and the electricity meters are fixed to removable boards, so there is no problem with them having to mess around with that when they're replaced.

The steps need tearing down and replacing, for sure. Now this is difficult in itself, as there are 2 other flats in the building and neither are really affected by it nor want to shell out for the replacement.

I had a few builders come round to look at replacing them a couple of months ago but only one got back to me (with a price of nearly £10,000!). The others ignored me and never came back with a price. They quoted to take down the steps and bin them and replace with rendered blockwork and cast concrete steps. I would have thought this would be £4-£5 grand but my jaw hit the floor when they said nearly £10. That seems very steep to me; I would have thought maybe 2 weeks maximum work + materials.

One thing I'd like a bit of help on (as well as advice on the price), is what to replace them with. I was only initially looking at replacing them like-for-like but have been thinking recently about iron steps.

The thing that I find attractive about them is that they will last longer with less maintenance and won't crack, fall apart and look rubbish like rendered steps will. They will also surely reduce the chances of future similar damp problems as they wouldn't be a solid entity resting against the building as such. I also think a nice set of painted detailed iron steps look really good.

How would the cost of iron steps compare with the cost of block & concrete? I was thinking something with a bit of a feature (rather than something that looks like a fire-escape) like this:
steps3.jpg

There are also selfish reasons in that it wouldn't block out as much light as concrete and would leave my entrance more visible and less likely to be attractive to burglars.

Now the cost comparison is the main thing, as I have no idea what the difference would be. Obviously my building neighbors will want to go for the cheapest option.

The downside with these types of steps being that there would need to be some kind of housing built underneath to keep the meters dry and stop the rain filling up my entrance area (as there is no drainage).

Any help/advice/tips would be great!

I'm in Bristol by the way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Frankly that's a very messy job for a builder to have to undertake, its a bit of a Pandora's box. That's prolly why only one builder got back to you and he seemed expensive. The iron stairs is a good alternative though not sure if it would be a lot cheaper.

You could prolly do worse than to employ an architectural technician or chartered surveyor (who does drawings) or someone to knock up a couple of drawings to get it designed, then your builders will know you are serious about doing it and will be able to price it more accurately and may also be more inclined to take such a beast of a job on if they have a good idea how to do it. If its designed then appropriate waterproofing methods can be employed rather than leaving it all to the builder to make up as he goes along.

The very last thing you want is to end up employing the only builder prepared to do it because he is desperate for work because he is a rubbish builder.

Others may disagree with this strategy.

Thanks Freddie,

It doesn't seem like a messy job to me? Just knocking out some brickwork and render and then building new steps.

If iron stairs would be cheaper then I would be more more inclined to go for something like that. A simple polycarbonate-roofed lean to or something underneath to keep the understairs dry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back