Door steps dangerously slippy when ice forms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door steps at the front and rear of my house have a smooth concrete surface.

This results in a very thin sheet of ice forming that makes them very dangerous in sub-zero temperatures.

I would like to put in a permanent solution that would prevent a "glass like" sheet of ice forming on the steps.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Any chance you could abrade the concrete. This would give it some texture, or relay the concrete with a coarse grit in it.

Alternatively if you have space, how about just laying some textured paving stones over the concrete.

Sponsored Links
I think I'd be tempted to try a SBR/cement slurry coating.
It's a heck of a lot cheaper than that watco stuff, but it may do the same job without the fancy colours.

Don't use PVA/cement slurry 'cos the PVA may go soft again in the rain.

5 litres SBR about £20 and a bag of cement about £8.

Stipple it on to leave plenty of peaks in the finish.
See how long it lasts.

It won't stop ice forming but it should leave a good non-slip surface.

It looks like the coir mats are out then as no one appears to be arguing in favour of them.

Putting some sort of mix on the steps looks like the way forward.

I have four steps, each 90x30cm

When I "paint" the mix on, will the material drip off the edging of the steps? Is there some trick of the trade, to prevent drippage to ensure nice clean cut finish?

If you try the SBR/cement slurry, bear in mind it's an experiment, but it'll work, but for how long, I dunno. It'll certainly last a winter, but how many, let us know.
You'll make your own mix so can adjust the consistency. Follow the instructions on the SBR can and it won't run anywhere. In fact you'll start worrying when you're reaching the full amount of cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back