Front door steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can someone give me some advice/ideas for creating steps up to my front door.

I require 2 steps about 200mm high to take me just underneath the door sill.

I would prefer to use the same material for the step as the drive which is a concrete slab, but I wanted to have the shape formed as a semi circle.

Someone has mentioned cutting the shape in the slabs with a disc cutter, but then I'm left with a nasty looking edge, being able to see the inside of the slab.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are better off creating a 'frame' in which to sit the cut slabs.

The best way to achieve a curve is with header bricks. We have done it in the past by cutting say solid staffy blues in half and laying them flat to form a curve .

We use a timber lath or batten with a groove cut in the end like a line prop. We would then drive a stake into the ground at the centre point and use the lathe as a kind of compass laying the bricks at the edge of the lath swing.

The slabbing then sits inside the frame of bricks thus avoiding the problems of an untidy edge and tipping problems.

Thanks noseall.

I've now got a better idea of how to do it.

I just need to find a header brick to match up to the slabs.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back