Door step base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 180mm step from my drive to the front entrance door threshold. This is not big enough to split into a 2nd step but I want to have a defined area for the door as if a step were there.

This will be done using 3 stone slabs.

Currently there is a type 1 sub base down so I plan to dig this out and pour a concrete base to bed the slabs to.

How deep does this slab need to be to prevent movement/cracking etc. The slabs will only experience foot traffic and a few pot plants.

I would obviously like to keep this as shallow as possible but don't want issues in the future.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a 180mm step from my drive to the front entrance door threshold. This is not big enough to split into a 2nd step but I want to have a defined area for the door as if a step were there.

This will be done using 3 stone slabs.

Currently there is a type 1 sub base down so I plan to dig this out and pour a concrete base to bed the slabs to.

How deep does this slab need to be to prevent movement/cracking etc. The slabs will only experience foot traffic and a few pot plants.

I would obviously like to keep this as shallow as possible but don't want issues in the future.
A fully bedded slab can be supported upon its own bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back