Concrete tiles around roof windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently had a second roof window put in the one on the left. The one to the right is about 5 years old. My daughter wanted more light in her loft bedroon so a second loft light was put in. My question is regarding the tiles in the middle that are made up of two pieces of sawn tile and the one to the left which are also two sawn bits of tile.

Is it OK to use small pieces of tile like this and is it safe. The one to the right always looked a little off to me but has gone through many storms and deluges and has not moved but the tile pieces used were larger.

Any help or advice greatly received. 20190604_0640301.jpg 20190604_0640352.jpg
20190604_0640383.jpg

Sponsored Links
The work is done to a terrible standard. The tiles below the window should not be kicking up and the tiles at the sides are kicking up way too much and are not even straight.

The work is done to a terrible standard. The tiles below the window should not be kicking up and the tiles at the sides are kicking up way too much and are not even straight.
Do you think it is safe what he has done as in it will stay in place or do I need a dedicated roofer to come and look at it?

Sponsored Links
Left hand window appears a different make to the Right hand.
Left hand window shows tiles underneath with the bottoms cut off...Poor!

There is no reason to have the two cuts in between ..

The cuts at the sides of both need not be cocked up as they are..

its just amateurish ...poor amateurish

Left hand window appears a different make to the Right hand.
Left hand window shows tiles underneath with the bottoms cut off...Poor!

There is no reason to have the two cuts in between ..

The cuts at the sides of both need not be cocked up as they are..

its just amateurish ...poor amateurish
The windows are different the first was installed about 5 years ago, the one on the left came with insulation around it which seemed to of exasperated the problem or at least the builder, lol. Have got a roofer coming now on Saturday. Can the problem be fixed easily? I have 4 full spare tiles or could the window be to far out and causing the tiles to stick out further?

20190605_075328.jpg No leaks after 6 hours of mild rain and seems to look better today, maybe bedded in and dust from sawing etc gone, or is it just me!?

That's a roto window which is not a bad make, but I wouldn't have chosen that considering its that close to another make.
Why he has cut the bottoms off the tiles is puzzling and he hasn't bothered chamfering the top of the tiles below the window which is why the tiles are kicking up.

Got a proper roofer today and he flashed the middle as tiles not hanging on to battens at all and would of come off as they did in his hands!! Did a lovely job lead flashing the middle, screwed it to battens and sealed it. He would of done the job for £250 per unit including tiling instead of the total cost I've now paid of £430 but until you find the good trades people its a little bit of luck. He said the windows are fine but the tiling wasn't. The bits of tile to the side he reckons have sealant on as he couldn't move them. I would rather of had both windows as velux as handles to top rather than bottom which could potentially blind you if you don't turn handle and walk into them. The windows though do give the extra light and total cost for both even though about 5 years apart was only about £680 and seeing some builders wanted near £1000 for one! I've probably got away quite luckily and now have a great roofer to boot.

I am glad your happy.
I hope you roofer fixed ply between the battens or plenty of extra battens, otherwise the lead flashing will sink between the tile battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back