Concrete tiles not standard size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a concrete tile come down off the roof - it's broken into at least 4 pieces, some of which I can't find! They are a natural colour (we are on the edge of the Cotswolds) with a sort of grainy finish, but problem is they aren't standard size - they are 12" wide and at least as tall, it's hard to assess the length as I don't have all the bits.

Underneath where the tile was are two sandy coloured tiles. My questions are:
- would these sandy tiles be waterproof enough to last till we can replace the original tile, and
- do we need to visit a reclamation yard to try and match the tile size?

I've emailed my roofing chap who cleared our moss last year, and hope he can help but I'd appreciate some reassurance!

BTW no way can we afford to replace the whole roof

Sponsored Links
This is a pic (if it comes out) - had real trouble finding out how to insert this!
It's 12 inches across but not sure how long.

Sponsored Links
its a Hardrow slate, some times nailed but can be pegged too.
should e easy enough to find.
no it is not water proof, but your felt will help some what.

any problem find one then there is a roofing reclaim yard i know has thousands. but depends on your location

any problem find one then there is a roofing reclaim yard i know has thousands. but depends on your location

Thanks for that. We actually found a reclamation yard near Banbury that had some - well worn but then they'll blend in ! Thanks for identifying the tile as Hardrow. The man at the yard said they were made in Yorkshire. Now I just have to find someone to fit it!

No problem,
If you found a source then get more than you need.. unfortunately these have a habit of cracking as they get older.

Can I just query your comment that it's not waterproof? Do you mean the tiles that are exposed underneath? I thought they all overlapped to keep water out. Inside the loft we can see a black shiny membrane all over the roof. I guess the felt is outside of this but beneath the tiles?

My sweet roofer boy is coming next Saturday to fit the tile so I hope we have a spell of dry weather this coming week!

it's not waterproof as half the slate is missing , the slates underneath will not have head lap. they are double lap not single lap.
What your looking at isnt what you think .

i wouldn't lose any sleep over it, any drips will run down the felt/underlay

it's not waterproof as half the slate is missing , the slates underneath will not have head lap. they are double lap not single lap.
What your looking at isnt what you think .

i wouldn't lose any sleep over it, any drips will run down the felt/underlay
For your info, this is a pic of what is underneath!

Grateful for any comment. I appreciate your help thus far.

yes i know what would be underneath.. it's not weather proof.

They are a double lap system..

have you recently had moss removal done?

yes i know what would be underneath.. it's not weather proof.

They are a double lap system..

have you recently had moss removal done?
Yes, same roofer chap cleared the moss about 3 months ago. Are you now going to tell me a horror story about removing moss??!!

no need to tell you... the picture tells all......

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean! The surveyor who did our full valuation recommended the moss removal. It was done by hand, not pressure washing and no chemicals involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back