Concrete washing line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a washing line that is tied to two concrete posts. These posts are about 2.5m high and are on grass. I assume they have a foundation of concrete too although I have not dug around to check.

My question is, what's the best way to remove them from where they stand? Can I break them up, or do I have to risk a hernia trying to move them?

I'd appreciate any advice. :D

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I would guess that they will have steel rods reinforcing them too.

Personally, I would just dig down and get them out that way.

Good luck :)

I had to remove 2 concrete posts in my last garden. We dug down and got the post and the concrete base out quite easily for one. The other was more stubborn and we had to break the post up at the base exposing the metal rods which I cut through with an angle grinder - quite quick to do.

The fencer took them away for me as part of the deal when he did the fencing - good job he was strong though!

Crumbs! :eek: metal rods through the middle too!

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to take them away for me so ideally I'd like to break them into smaller chunks to hide away somewhere...

Did you use anything in particular to break it up? Also, roughly how far down did you did?

Sponsored Links
........a BIG hammer is the simplest way to break it up, then as quatro said, use an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade to get throught the rods (a hacksaw would take you forever).

Alternatively - lob them behind the neighbours shed :LOL: :LOL:

Oh, I just had another thought..............if you are likely to be putting up a shed or garage in the future, it might be worth keeping the posts intact - they would make a good base :cool:

Thanks for the advice Gary.....neighbours shed eh... ;)

I have a sledgehammer :mad: so that should do the trick. No room for a garage (terraced house) and the two sheds are enough.

I am laying decking but I doubt they would be much use...unless broken up and used to help with leveling the ground....

Just lob em where the decking is going and deck over them, saves time and money in trying to break em up and dispose of..

If you want to take out the concrete round the base of the post, this is much easier if you don't break the post off first, then you can use it as a lever. You might find that if you dig round the bases as deep as you can, then tie a rope between the tops of the two posts and swing on it, you can pull the two tops together, and that will pull the bases out of the ground.

It is very difficult to get a big lump of concrete out of the ground if you've got no handle on it. Same with fence posts.

Cheers JohnD,

That's a great tip! I have the ahem...weight to assist the leverage too.

I'll keep the washing line on and hang myself out to dry. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back