Concrete worms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was the funniest bodge I have ever seen and it was in my own home.
I came home 1 day from work to find the builder, (who has demolishing a Jerry built kitchen to prepare for a new extension), and his mate rolling about in tears of laughter at what can only be described as worm holes running through the concrete floor.

It appears that at sometime this extension had been added and the water feeds moved about 12ft diagonally through the concrete.
There was a 15mm copper pipe for both hot and cold disapearing into the concrete at 1 side and reappearing in the opposte corner.

But unbeknown to us untill it was broken up, the nerd that had done this has used oxy/acetylene hose or some other rubber based stuff, jubilee clipped to the pipes and snaked accross the deck before the concrete was poured.

All that remained was the rusted clips, not a single inch of hose was left :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Both hot and cold water must have been delivered down a concrete "hose" for gawd knows how many years :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
I came across a similar thing many years ago when renewing sewers in a street. The gang foreman smelt gas but the digger driver swore that he had not hit a pipe. Further investigation showed that the gas was coming from a hole through the clay, the pipe having corroded away years before.

Sponsored Links
This reminds me of a builder's mate who was discussing how ants can chew through concrete, and he said it with so much seriousness that i burst laughing and ever since I remember his remarks, i wouldn;t have thought that ants can dig through concrete, may be I am wrong still.

The other day I noticed that overnight a large mushroom had burst clean through the tarmac path. That path has been there for at least 10 years and is several inches thick.

The other day I noticed that overnight a large mushroom had burst clean through the tarmac path. That path has been there for at least 10 years and is several inches thick.

yep sounds like 'macadam fungii' best keep an eye on it.

Perhaphs, they were the early creatures of life form to use hydraulics to their advantage, and force their way out of tough tarmac!

tree routes are amazing too, they grow big and wider and move houses from their foundations, whilst tree trunks are unable to braek a rope tied to a tree trunk and grow around the rope covering it instead of breaking the rope, I once tied a washing line to a tree in my garden, its trunk is now twice the width and has grown around the line and the line now appears to be coming out of the tree trunk!

Ants can certainly burrow through mortar, they love fetching all mine out in the summer to gain access to my cavity. Once they make a pinhole they fetch enough out to get the army in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back