Concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting my garage into a habitable space and have excavated the base and in-filled with MOT, sand blinding layer, DPM and 100mm insulation boards with 25mm upstand.

I'm now ready to lay the concrete, any ideas on the best method?

The upstands are level with the DPC but I want the concrete to finish approx 65mm below this to allow for screed!

Any advice on the best way to go about this will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Nail a batten to each wall above your upstands making sure its on straight and level. Then get a 7x2 or similar to use as a tamper and cut out the desired notch from each end. For example If you want to finish 65mm below the upstand and your batten is 50mm and is resting directly on the insulation then cut out 115 from the timber end and use this to tamp and screed the concrete level, if your screeding the lot anyway then its not super important to get it perfect but i have done floors with this method which have floated finished so you can get it pretty good.

That make sense?

Nail a batten to each wall above your upstands making sure its on straight and level. Then get a 7x2 or similar to use as a tamper and cut out the desired notch from each end. For example If you want to finish 65mm below the upstand and your batten is 50mm and is resting directly on the insulation then cut out 115 from the timber at each end and use this to tamp and screed the concrete level, if your screeding the lot anyway then its not super important to get it perfect but i have done floors with this method which have floated finished so you can get it pretty good.

That make sense?

Sponsored Links
r896neo

Thanks for that, that makes perfect sense, Ipresume i'm going to need welly's?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back