Insulation upstands for concrete floor. Yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BC came round the other day and signed my work to DPC off. We chatted about my solid floor plans which he was happy about (MOT 100mm, sand blinding 10mm, DPM, insulation 100mm, concrete 100mm followed by a thin SL to level near the end of build). DPM lapped onto DPC.

He mentioned I should have 25mm insulation upstands at wall edges. Is this correct? I was under the impression this was for UFH which I'm not doing. The reason for my doubt is that my weak mix fill in the cavity comes to 225mm below DPC and I was going to sit the wall insulation on this therefore breaking the cold bridge from wall to concrete floor as wall insulation would be well below slab.

What's the right thing to do?

Sponsored Links
An insulation upstand is required. Though the Oracle will be along to tell you there's no cold bridge.

Last edited:
I was told it's not striclty needed if you put the dri therm all the way down, but I put it in anyway

Sponsored Links
Yes.
You are helping to remove the cold bridge from the block work going downwards as well.

Apparently you can get insulated blockwork to put in the inner leaf at that level, but the upstand is surely cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back