Concreting Fence Posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have have to reinforce my 6’ garden fence with 2 new 4” posts. I’ve got the posts and the materials but unsure if it’s ok to concrete them in when the temperature is averaging around 2 degrees at the moment and need advice.

Sponsored Links
you can make the mix with hot water if you like. The heat won't last long, but if you cover over the fresh concrete to protect it from frost, for a day or two, it will be OK.

Thanks guys, here’s hoping the ground hasn’t frozen solid.

Sponsored Links
use post savers or wrap with bitumen flashband....makes the posts last a lot longer.

builders routinely do concreting at this temperature -they just avoid the real hard frost days / nights

you can use post mix dry --ram the mix in hard with post level, then pour on some water from a watering can and if very cold, cover with some cloth or similar

Elsewhere I read that the hole for a 4" post should be 8" wide by 30" deep. Seems a bit narrow to me. I'm going for the post dry mix.

Ideally you want the hole as narrow as possible, just to save on concrete.

Post should have 1/3 of its length in the ground.

If the ground is soft, or the wind is strong, a wider wedge of concrete will spread the load, so less likely to move.

If the ground is soft
The soil most definitely is not soft! In fact, what appears to be the bedrock lies less than half a metre from the surface. I discovered this when I attempted to install a whirligig.

the temperature a foot down will be 4 or 5 degrees even if it is -10 outside, cover the top of it with an old blanket for a few days, or just some plastic and shovel some soil on top of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back