Condensate drain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read differing views on this. Is it permissible to drain condensate into the sink waste outlet pipe? Also what connector do I require to drop the 22mm pie into the 1½" outlet pipe?

TIA

Sponsored Links
The boiler manufactuer will give an analysis of the condensate in the manual which typicall has amonia, nikel, sulfates... the pH will be close to 5. I suspect that no water board will allow that without treatment as it is corrosive and metal pipes can be found outside the plastic home pipework.

Tristar";p="2276804 said:
I read differing views on this. Is it permissible to drain condensate into the sink waste outlet pipe? Also what connector do I require to drop the 22mm pie into the 1½" outlet pipe?

I don't know why gsplum is writing such nonsense, unless he is actually Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

The method you describe is actually the recommended and preferred option. Go into any merchants and they will provide you with the required compoinents

The boiler manufacturer will give an analysis of the condensate in the manual. ... I suspect that no water board will allow that without treatment as it is corrosive and metal pipes can be found outside the plastic home pipework.

What complete and utter twaddle.

Sponsored Links
FiremanT";p="2276844 said:

I don't know why gsplum is writing such nonsense, unless he is actually Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

The method you describe is actually the recommended and preferred option. Go into any merchants and they will provide you with the required compoinents

Recommended by whom? Preferred to what?

The boiler manufacturer will give an analysis of the condensate in the manual. ... I suspect that no water board will allow that without treatment as it is corrosive and metal pipes can be found outside the plastic home pipework.

What complete and utter twaddle.

So which part of the text quoted is "complete and utter twaddle."

1- that manufactures give analysis of the condensate?
2- that homes have plastics pipework
3- that metal pipes can be found one leaving the home (and that this is corrosive?)

I suggest you read your post again, and then some boiler instructions.

Suggest also you limit your writings to absorbent paper in future, then it might be of some use.

:rolleyes:

Suggest also you limit your writings to absorbent paper in future, then it might be of some use.

Well I see how you have reached 5517 postings.. I suggest in future you limit your 'contributions' to something of substance. Short, critical and unsubstantiated posts are of little help to anyone in a forum where people come to learn and share. If you truly have superior knowledge, why not share it?

I don't need to read the boiler manual. I know the data is specified. The waste is corrosive. And it should to be treated, not just thrown into the water system, although sadly that is what often happens.

The question is an interesting one and merits a real discussion, not petty comments. I too would like to know if there is a low-cost, compact and environmentally friendly solution. Diluting the waste in the sink u tube is a step in the right direction.

Soakaways or Condensafe. Use Lime chippings to neutralise.

You might be interested to hear that I rose the question back in 2003 and was ignored.

Doesn't seem to be causing a major issue just yet.

I have yest to find a manufacturer that analyses the contents of condesate in their instructions, but heer are some samples for said MI's:

A plastic drain pipe must be fitted to allow discharge of
condensate to a drain.
Condensate should, if possible, be discharged into the internal
household draining system
(Glowworm)

The pipework must follow one of the options
shown opposite into an internal serviceable
trap (min. 75mm) such as a sink/washing
machine waste or discharge direct into a vent
stack (E) 450mm min. above pipe invert, or
into a gulley (D) below ground but above the
water level.
(Worcester Bosch)

connecting into the internal discharge branch (e.g. sink
waste or washing machine) with an external termination,
the condensate discharge pipe should have a
minimum diameter of 22 mm with no length restriction
and should incorporate a trap with a 75 mm (3) (built
into the boiler) seal. The connection should preferably
be made down stream of the sink waste trap. If the
connection is only possible upstream, then an air
break is needed between the two traps. This is normally
provided by the sink waste.
(Vaillant).

So, you were saying?

gsplum are you an armchair googler by any chance? :rolleyes: to many on here as it is.

Tristar, I assumed you were referring to an INTERNAL waste outlet. Was this in order?

Thanks for all that guys. So I intend to do as I suggested in my OP, and drop it into the sink waste after the trap, using some sort of reducer.

Since the problems last winter of many externally led condensate pipes freezing, is there any chance that manufacturers have/will come up with a better quality waste that will more readily accept the acidic condensate?

Highly unlikely the water folks are going to worry about a bit of condensate, it'll be so dilute as to be untraceable once it gets into the main sewer....

Industrial effluent can be a lot worse, and its still a permitted discharge. I've seen the bottom of a concrete sewer completely eroded by the constant flow from a factory processing wheat starch. The entire sewer run from the factory had to be replaced, up to the point where the flow became dilute enough so not to present a problem. (The damaged concrete pipes were replaced with clayware to prevent a reoccurance.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back