I was following this advice from Worcester Bosch above:

connecting into the internal discharge branch (e.g. sink
waste or washing machine) with an external termination,
the condensate discharge pipe should have a
minimum diameter of 22 mm with no length restriction
and should incorporate a trap with a 75 mm (3) (built
into the boiler) seal.
The connection should preferably
be made down stream of the sink waste trap.
If the
connection is only possible upstream, then an air
break is needed between the two traps. This is normally
provided by the sink waste.

Sponsored Links
You haven't said what boiler you have...It is different for some boilers.

In WB case they are worried about a blockage in the drain causing water to back up into the boiler.

Atmos for example have a trap that is open to the drain, so you need another trap to deal with the that.

You haven't said what boiler you have...It is different for some boilers.

In WB case they are worried about a blockage in the drain causing water to back up into the boiler.

Atmos for example have a trap that is open to the drain, so you need another trap to deal with the that.

Sorry, it is an Ideal Isar, which has a condensate trap, it is a few years old, which has been repositioned during a kitchen refurbish. It has been overhauled by a Gas safe engineer and runs OK, but I am fitting the kitchen and have to complete the 22mm condensate pipe run. There is also a dishwasher and water softener drain that will discharge into the sink trap, so there will be plenty of flush water through the exit pipe.

Soakaways or Condensafe. Use Lime chippings to neutralise.

You might be interested to hear that I rose the question back in 2003 and was ignored.

Doesn't seem to be causing a major issue just yet.

Good ideas, in practice how often do you change the neutralisers?

In Spain I get the impression that most installers don't drain to soil but rather into the mains network and I'm also not aware of a problem, though condensing boilers are not mandatory here.

I have yest to find a manufacturer that analyses the contents of condesate in their instructions, but heer are some samples for said MI's:

I have Bosch manuales with complete breakdowns in Spanish and German and would be happy to translate.

Basic data in English here http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/cache/file/483/greenstar-cdi-installation-manual.pdf (page 4)

and

http://www.vaillant.co.uk/stepone2/data/downloads/4b/43/00/ecotec-exclusive-installation-manualpdf (page 50)

It is possible EU regulations force them to put this data in the manuals.

I like the diagrams with measurements for the above solutions here http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/cache/file/335/tech-and-spec-for-wall-mounted-gas-combi-boiler.pdf

Sponsored Links
Fortunately it is now working well, so will have to continue in service until it fails.

However, thanks for the the considered advice. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back