Condensate pipe frozen and leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler condensate pipe is leaking near the bolier just under the floor boards. The first we knew was when water started coming through the ceiling. I'm assuming the pipe is blocked outside so the water has backed up. I'm wondering if there is any harm disconnecting the rubber hose at the boiler and letting it drip into a bucket so I can run the boiler over night as I cant get anything under the floorboards big enough. I'm a bit concerned about how much is likely to leak overnight. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
just run it into a bucket, it will be fine but the water will be acidic so just be aware of that , use a plastic bucket or basin

Similar to Driver123 I've just found water dripping through the ceiling. Again looks it looks like the condensate pipe has frozen (and has been for some time given how damp it is under the floorboards) and popped the seal where the white plastic pipe joins the boiler. It's a long length, 4 metres+ of condensate pipe running externally so defrosting not an option. A couple of questions:
  • I'm about to go on holiday for a week (planes permitting). I'm wondering how big a bucket I'm going to need if the heating comes on for a couple of hours a day for 7 days? Running a hose could be tricky as I can't move the condensate pipe out the way as it goes through the wall shortly after it leaves the boiler.

• When the weather calms down what's the best way to re-attach/seal the plastic condensate pipe to the plastic pipe coming out the boiler?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Loagging an external run of condensate pipe wil NOT prevent it freezing, it can only delay the freezing, hopefully that delay is long enough that ambient temperatures rise above freezing before the pipe becomes blocked by frozen condensate.

If there has to be a long external run then either trace heating or a means to defrost should be installed when the boiler is installed.

A small pipe for the condensate inside a larger dry pipe then the dry pipe wrapped in insulation. If the condensate does freeze then warm air can be blown along the outer dry pipe to warm and melt the condensate

There is doubt about the merits of using a larger diameter pipe. Larger diameter means more surface area to dissipate heat, but also more volume to store liquid when the pipe does freeze up. More volume on the pipe delays the point at which the sump begins to over flow and shuts down the boiler.

Condensing boilers can produce up to 2 litres of water per hour when working, so that's one big bucket you're going to need. At worst, cut the existing pipe to remove it, and allow a hose to be attached, and keep the boiler running whilst you are away. On your return I think you would be wise to engage an engineer to look at either rerouting or protecting the condensate drain to prevent a reoccurrence of this issue.

They produce less when the radiator water temperature is as high as possible, so to minimise it put it on for a short time as possible with the water temp set on max and the thermostat up high

Similar to Driver123 I've just found water dripping through the ceiling. Again looks it looks like the condensate pipe has frozen (and has been for some time given how damp it is under the floorboards) and popped the seal where the white plastic pipe joins the boiler. It's a long length, 4 metres+ of condensate pipe running externally so defrosting not an option. A couple of questions:
  • I'm about to go on holiday for a week (planes permitting). I'm wondering how big a bucket I'm going to need if the heating comes on for a couple of hours a day for 7 days? Running a hose could be tricky as I can't move the condensate pipe out the way as it goes through the wall shortly after it leaves the boiler.

• When the weather calms down what's the best way to re-attach/seal the plastic condensate pipe to the plastic pipe coming out the boiler?
Thanks
Overnight it put a couple of inches in the bowl so as others have said you would probably need a big bucket. Looking at the forecast it's supposed to get milder and milder over the next couple of weeks so if you live in a mild area I would be tempted to just leave the heating off whilst away. I never used to leave the heating on when I went away but perhaps I was lucky. Don't take my word for it though. I'm not an expert.

Within 20mins it quickly became apparent that a bucket just wasn't going to cut it! I'll turn the boiler off for the duration and hope the weather improves. Thanks for your help.

Rather annoying that the installation means the boiler is always going to pack up when you need it most!

Within 20mins it quickly became apparent that a bucket just wasn't going to cut it! I'll turn the boiler off for the duration and hope the weather improves. Thanks for your help.

Rather annoying that the installation means the boiler is always going to pack up when you need it most!

Is there anyone that could keep an eye on the place and run the heating for a bit if need be whilst you're away? As I said previously, it would be wise to engage someone to look at either rerouting the condensate drain to prevent freezing or fitting trace heating for future needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back