Leaking condensate pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered I have a slow leak on my Vaillant Ecotec pro 28 boiler, and looking at the manual it is coming from the condensate discharge pipe. Water is weeping between the connection on the boiler and where the plastic pipe has been fitted (see attached picture). I have placed a bowl under the leak and in 12 hours it has caught approx 250ml. I'm not entirely sure why it's leaking so much,as far as I can see the pipe then goes down to the waste pipe on my. Kitchen sink so surely it should just drain into that?

Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2017-12-19 11.23.56.jpg
    2017-12-19 11.23.56.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,109
Sponsored Links
Has the white pipe just been slid over the pipe coming out of the boiler?

If so, your waste is probably blocked and the condensate is backing up and overflowing from the joint between the two pipes.

Yeah, the plastic pipe is just slid over the pipe coming from the boiler. Should it be like this or should it have been secured in a more permanent fashion?

The sink seems to drain freely but I'll try a bottle of bleach down the sink to see if it clears anything in the waste

It should have been connected properly.

I would take the trap off and check that there isn't a build up of muck that's blocked the condensate connection point.

You might well find that the sink drains ok but the condensate is still blocked.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

I've just disconnected the condensate pipe from the waste and found it well blocked. Cleaned it out so should be sorted now.

For the connection at the boiler end, what is the proper way to connect the pipe rather than just slipping it over the connection?

Thanks for that.

I've just disconnected the condensate pipe from the waste and found it well blocked. Cleaned it out so should be sorted now.

For the connection at the boiler end, what is the proper way to connect the pipe rather than just slipping it over the connection?

I’d leave as is... it alerted you to the blockage and you were able to clear it. Otherwise it’s part of the flue system and should only be modified by an RGI.

Get a GSR engineer in to have a look, as @dilalio mentions it is classed as part of the flue and needs someone who is gas safe registered to look at it, find out why it blocked, makes sure it doesn't in the future as the boiler will be affected if it backs up and then fix it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back