condensate pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a boiler installed and the condensate pipe needs to go in the ground outside the house to runaway to the drain - should I run the same size pipe in the ground or use 32mm. And when in the ground how should the plastic pipe be protected?

Sponsored Links
< Why does your RGI not know this? >

I'm sure he does, and you may or you may not. Your answer doesn't tell me, but thanks for your help.

< What size pipe were you intending to use to the 32mm? >

It would be the 21.5mm condensate pipe, and I could run that into the ground, or I could use a reducer 32mm to 21.5mm and run 32mm into the ground.

Does anyone know if I should protect the plastic pipe or whether I can just concrete it in.

Sponsored Links
I do know , but my question was if you have a RGI instaklling your boiler, why are you asking questions on a forum about how to run a condensate pipe?

If you are installing the pipe yourself then fine, but why not ask the installer who has seen the job instead of a load of strangers ?

I suggest that this should be done by your rgi. There are regs covering this. If your intent on doing it yourself ask him

< I suggest that this should be done by your rgi. There are regs covering this. If your intent on doing it yourself ask him >

I have just searched Part J, and there are 4 references to condensate, none relating to a combi gas boiler.

< I do know , but my question was if you have a RGI instaklling your boiler, why are you asking questions on a forum about how to run a condensate pipe? >

Because I said I would prepare the run to the drain to save him time, he will be running the plastic pipe throught he wall to the ground.

<If you are installing the pipe yourself then fine, but why not ask the installer who has seen the job instead of a load of strangers ?>

Because, as I expected, obviously wrongly, that someone would just say something like "Hey why don't you run the condensate pipe in some 32mm and concrete that" - or something similar - but clearly not - thanks for your help - I'll guess I'll pop down to the local Build Centre and ask them - they are usually very helpful - I am sure there are a few people at B&Q that would also probably know too.

Welcome to DIYnot - the biggest collective of cynical arseholes in the world.

Run it in 32mm as soon as possible. Also don't glue in a reducer, but drop the 21.5mm into the open end of the 32mm. If it ever blocks in the 32mm it will overflow out of here instead of backing up to the boiler.

With the recent cold spell, frozen condensate's have been a ball ache, 32mm is less likely to freeze. (although did happen hence earlier sugestion)

No need to protect the plastic, it will be fine in concrete.

HTH Sam

So the question is still unanswered. You said you would prep for him......so why not have asked him there and then what was required as per regs??? Instead you com e on here and ask and then get defensive when questioned.

Very odd.

Red_Man.....grow up

If you are joining existing underground 4" pipework, use adaptors to reduce the pipe from 4" to 1.5", then to your condensate. I have no idea how this is running from your boiler without pics, so am stabbing in the wind a bit :confused:

Once the plastic pipe is concreted in, there isn't a need to protect the pipework from the concrete. Any pipework above the ground outside that is run in 21.5mm pipework will need insulating, as there is a tendency to freeze.

Hi Red - I was just going to have a ****, but haven't got an NVQ and am only legally allowed to have a ****.

The thing is Red - it's a simple question. a building question rather than a gas question, but since these forum experts would have done this before I thought at least someone would oblige.

Chasing some plastic pipe to a drain - a Part J question, give me a break - oohh need an RGI for that, call Building Control, the water board because the drains might not be able to cope with the added condensate.

Why is it much easier to answer a question with a question, argue the toss, thatn answering straight forward easy question. Perhaps they don't know?

< So the question is still unanswered. You said you would prep for him......so why not have asked him there and then what was required as per regs???>

Because there aren't any regs covering this that's why

<Instead you come on here and ask and then get defensive when questioned. Very odd. >

No what is odd is that people seem intent on answering a simple question with a question. Do you really think if I'd needed to ask this simple question, I would be installing the boiler myself?

Putting 22mm or 22mm into 32mm plastic pipe into the ground is not a Part J question, but most on here get very defensive - very odd.

You're right.. We don't know, and neither does your installer.... If I was you, I'd sack the installer and fit it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back