Condensate pipe?

I have recently had a condensing oil boiler fitted in my house. The fitter has run a pipe just over a meter long outside of the boiler room in to a gravel pit I have. When I had it commissioned I was told that this should be run in to some sort of soakaway? The pipe is lagged, but I have read some awful stories of the condensate freezing! If the pipe has to be run 1 meter outside of the property what do people expect!?

What is the best thing to do?

Thanks for your help.

My pipe froze last winter, you can tell because the boiler starts to make a clanging noise. My pipe isn't insulated and runs at a shallow angle but it's no bother, when it's a prolonged cold spell I simply uncouple the pipe underneath the boiler and let the water drip into a bowl. When it warms up I reconnect it. Icould pay to have it done properly but for the sake of 1 min job that you might have to do every other year then it's not worth the cost.

Sponsored Links
My pipe froze last winter, you can tell because the boiler starts to make a clanging noise. My pipe isn't insulated and runs at a shallow angle but it's no bother, when it's a prolonged cold spell I simply uncouple the pipe underneath the boiler and let the water drip into a bowl. When it warms up I reconnect it. Icould pay to have it done properly but for the sake of 1 min job that you might have to do every other year then it's not worth the cost.

Exactly the helpful answer I was looking for! A true credit to the forum!

Gilford & Bausage. Do they come in pairs or are there anymore takers?

The simple answer to your initial post is:-

You were not happy with the installers choice of condensate pipe run.
A reputable GSR would know exactly how to ensure condensate pipe complied with current standards.
His mate, an OFTEC registered installer pointed out a problem with the pipe work. He has attempted to lighten the situation by complementing the GSR installers work. Clever, he has made sure he will get more work off the installer.

The problem you now face is the original installer will not have issued with any relevant reports. Doubt if he will arrange annual service on the boiler either, so possibly no 2nd year guarentee .

CD10 Installation report. No self respecting OFTEC engineer will commission work where CD10 is missing. If he is daft enough to do so, he is signing off and taking responsibility for whole system. Brave or foolish person, you decide.

TI/133 Oil storage risk assessment. Comes in 2 parts.
First covers enviromental Hazard and the second Fire hazard.

As you said
It was fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer, he doesn't do oil really
so therefore you do not have any certificates relating to the installation. I doubt if the OFTEC registered installer bothered to leave you a copy of his CD11 service/commission report either. If he did, no doubt you would not realise what it really means.

I can guarantee you that if we inspected the installation the first fault would be the oil tank.

Just to make it easier for you to understand the problems you now face.

A few years ago an oil tank split on an Anglesey property.
Shame it was not installed correctly. Total cost for decontaminating area was in excess of £11,000 :eek: plus the installer had to install a new tank foc. Cost was not an issue with customer but the inconvenience and mess was an issue.
We were called in to carry out service on the boiler 'coz previous installer had cocked up. Carried out tank risk assessment and guess what, the tank was installed exactly the same as the one that split, resting on two lintels..
The potential risks were explained to customer and his signature obtained and copy of T1/133 was left with him. He has now take the responsibility for the tank. We still service his boiler and every year he has the same report regarding poor tank installation. When it splits again it will be his responsibility to have area cleared of spillage.

There use to be a detached house not far from us, it burnt down a few years ago. :cry: Tank installed tight against house wall. There was a fire in close proximity to the tank. Part of facier and soffit dropped on the tank which melted and contents leaked on to paths that sloped back towards house.
The fire was accelerated due to the amount of burning oil standing on paths. Conclusion, no house left.

Insurance companies are experts at wriggling out of paying out, and apparently both incidents were not covered by the insurers.

Employing trades by choosing cheapest will eventually come back and bite you.
Cheap installers are like fitting budget tires on a high performance car, premature failure.

The potential risks and breakdowns seem to have been passed directly on you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your stories, but you are missing my point.........

My house was built over 30 years ago, it already had an oil boiler, tank and pipework. I was only replacing a COMPONENT of the system, which was the boiler.

I do have the commission report, it flags the condensate soakaway and the fact I have a shed in close proximity to the oil tank, this is all.

The boiler has been registered with Worcester and the OFTEC chap will be back in 11 months to carry out the annual service.

I really dont see what the issue is here?

Exactly the helpful answer I was looking for! A true credit to the forum!

No problem. I received some good advice about a dishwasher so I thought I would return the favour. (It's the only thing I know about)

It seem no matter what has been said you still don't understand any of the procedures reputable installers follow.

CD10 is completed by a registered installer. alternatively you could have notified BC that the work was being done, they would have then arranged to have it inspected and commissioned. Oops that would have cost you more :rolleyes:

CD11 Completed by commissioning engineer, and is accompanied by CD10 or details of installer that completed CD10

T1/133 Oil storage risk assessment. Completed on existing or new tank install.
Existing tanks are more often a potential risk due to poor installations, eg next to a shed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You were not to know that, but your cheap installer and his OFTEC friend should have brought it to your attention.
Then again they were after a quick buck so did not really care. Very professional :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You were commenting on how much cheaper your installer was.
Unregistered to work on oil, not providing relevant paper work makes him cheaper.
Does not make him a good installer. If he was that good he would not have fitted a bloody WB boiler, and you would not be on here looking for answers ;)

I have recently had a condensing oil boiler fitted in my house. The fitter has run a pipe just over a meter long outside of the boiler room in to a gravel pit I have. When I had it commissioned I was told that this should be run in to some sort of soakaway? The pipe is lagged, but I have read some awful stories of the condensate freezing! If the pipe has to be run 1 meter outside of the property what do people expect!?

What is the best thing to do?

Thanks for your help.

This is my original question?

It is installers like yourself who have brought everything else into question.

The only thing that has been overlooked in my case was the soakaway. A run of pipe to a drain was discussed prior to fitting but as I did not want a pipe that fat running around my property I told him to terminate in the gravel.

How you can say that my oil tank installation is poor is beyond me, the shed may have been placed next to the tank at a later date :confused:

I'm not made of money, if I would have appointed the first quote I had I would have been ROBBED, and that seems to be the general rule around our parts. I made in informed decision based on lots of quotes and meetings with various people in the trade. If I have made a bad decision is anyone's guess and only time will tell, but I will not be held ransom by overpriced so called "registered" fitters who would have done exactly the same job bar sinking a little plastic soakaway!

Your argument is uncalled for, you have made your point but save it for your next sales call, this ship has sailed.............;)

No one at building control is remotely interested in notification.

Oftec have invented a load of Bovine droppings to justify their existence.

Most of the so called "Oftec Engineers" I come across are "Five day wonders". Read that as" four king clueless".
Pay your money and if you are able to read and write, YOU BECOME AN ENGINEER.

I shall not be renewing my Oftec registation again.

How you can say that my oil tank installation is poor is beyond me, the shed may have been placed next to the tank at a later date

Seeing as you don't have document T1/133 you are at a disadvantage, and your cheap installer or his rip off mate don't have a clue.
If tank was a new install and passed assesemet and you at later date put shed next to it, then it would fail assessment on next service. simples.

A run of pipe to a drain was discussed prior to fitting but as I did not want a pipe that fat running around my property I told him to terminate in the gravel.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: He should have walked away.

decision based on lots of quotes and meetings with various people in the trade
It does not seem to bother you that lots of various people are out of pocket due to your time wasting. All the advice was free but you go for a cheap cowboy install, and have the cheek to tell him how to run condensate and then check if he did it right. What a plonker.

I'm not made of money, if I would have appointed the first quote I had I would have been ROBBED, and that seems to be the general rule around our parts

No you would'nt have been robbed,and as for general rule for the area its installers that are getting robbed by tight gits funding cowboy installers, and then questioning their installations. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Best sail off now :rolleyes: :rolleyes: don't forget your yellow wellies. ;)

My tank and shed have been there for donkeys years, I have lived in the property for 4 years, the risk assessment has been done and duly noted. There is nothing saying I have to rectify anything, other than you OFTEC guys trying to get more money out of people like me for the new tank and relocation...........

My guy came and gave me a quote just like the rest, the fact he could do his job, can get someone else to come around and commission it and still come in at a good realistic price is everyone else's loss.

It seems to me all this is "jobs for the boys", although it seems to be backfiring doesn't it? I know my fitter is working all day and is fully booked, not starting arguments on an open forum with nothing to do :mrgreen:

Made enough this morning thanks ;)

Belive it or not some of us work all weekend and are allowed time off, we dont all work for tight gits.

Now go sail away, theres a good boy.

First Gilford asks for advice on a situation with his installer.

Asks what is the best thing to do and even says thank you in advance.

As the situation evolves it turns out he has perpetrated an illegal install, possible safety and environmental issues, not interested; no its money. Good for him? So far.

Next he turns like a cornered animal and snarls at the very people who he asks for help in the first place; reason? They told him the cold truth and he didn’t like it.

As this evolves further, this comes up. he informs us; I do have the commission report, it flags the condensate soak away and the fact I have a shed in close proximity to the oil tank, this is all. The boiler has been registered with Worcester and the OFTEC chap will be back in 11 months to carry out the annual service.

1) He has an install by a non OFTEC installer and asking if part of his install is correct. (Victim 1 already in the firing line) we know why.

2) He has a commission report from an alleged OFTEC installer. (Potential victim 2 could be in his sites, if (1) don’t play ball, report?)

3) Worcester (Victim 3, falsifying his guarantee details (fraud?) If the boiler malfunctions and Worcester come out in good faith, the registration details are intentially incorrect, yep fraud.

Quote: Although it seems to be backfiring doesn't it? Unquote.

Time will tell and we will never know, of course unless Gilford comes clean and divulges his true identity. More chance of winning the lottery.

Off to the fridge for a beer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back